Give me some aftershave ideas to try :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Freemason, Maker, Father, Mover & Shaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright,

So im on this new shave kick with DE razors, dont think I ll ever go to another mach3 again baaaaahahahah!!!

Sooo.. I have made bay rum aftershave, which was pretty darn good for a first shot, if i dont say soooo myself... ;)...

I used a recipe I found online @ badgerandblade.com, a shave-dedicated forum that actually guided me to finding the right supplies and info to get me started on this new journey...

Now is where the fun begins.... so throw some ideas out there for interesting aftershave combos !!

I think I want to try:

Peppermint or spearmint (alone or w/rosemary)

sandalwood

cedar

lavender

rose

other than that... what else do you think would be good in an aftershave? Im down for anything... Itd be cool to have a bunch so I could choose them based on the mood... spice the shave experience up a bit :)

cwarren said:
Ian Care to share ?

Lol no worries :) this is the recipe I used:

8 ounces Witch Hazel
2 ounces Dark Rum (possibly Jamaican)
3-5 Bay Leaves
1-2 large cinnamon sticks
1/2 tsp of allspice
1/2 tsp of orange essential oil

I also added cloves and 1 orange worth of zest, left it in the sun for a few days.... Mmmm smells so good!!!

:)

If anyone has any other cool recipes they've found feeeeeeel free :)

That sounds wonderful .THANK YOU !!!!!!
I'm finding the more I aim my products toward my hubbys likings the more helpful and approving he is ...

thanks to him and ( PEAKS Black canyon ) ... body spray stuff coming next week..

Tabitha said:
Coconut & rum for when you are in a pirate kinda mood....

which is more often than not...... (and an excellent idea :) )... I wish they had sunblock that smelled like that lol...

@cw, no worries!! I definitely like the recipe, its very nice, Im curious as to how it would be without the cloves but I do like the addition of them, I wouldnt say its a spot on for bay rum, but for a first go itll suffice, I have to buy some actual bay rum to reacquaint myself with the scent first before I make any revisions....

It feels and smells wonderful though, no burn like all-alcohol aftershaves... I just shake it every few days and leave it on my windowsill... the mixture is now very dark instead of clear, how it started out :)

loooove it :)

I vote for whatever they put in Polo Green. I go weak in the knees when DH wears that scent.

And, if you figure it out, I'll buy it from you.

Deda said:
I vote for whatever they put in Polo Green. I go weak in the knees when DH wears that scent.

And, if you figure it out, I'll buy it from you.

omg i didnt know what you were talking about so i googled it, THATS THE COLOGNE MY DAD USED TO WEAR!!! WOOOOOAHHH! lol

I looooove the smell of that stuff... oooo now i may need to go back to the drawing board, thanks for bringing that up!; conjures up fond memories !! :)

Im gonna try on that one lol...

...and cinnamon/vanilla... mmmmmmm now for the vanilla id probably have to use a tincture of an actual vanilla bean (no idea how thatd work) or a vanilla FO right?? never worked with that scent before in soaps or anything else, I wonder if vanilla extract would work in that application? I know I avoid it in soaping... but since aftershaves are based primarily on alcohols/hydrosols then adding something that is part alcohol wont really muck anything up ??? hmmm lol...

IanT said:
...and cinnamon/vanilla... mmmmmmm now for the vanilla id probably have to use a tincture of an actual vanilla bean (no idea how thatd work) or a vanilla FO right?? never worked with that scent before in soaps or anything else, I wonder if vanilla extract would work in that application? I know I avoid it in soaping... but since aftershaves are based primarily on alcohols/hydrosols then adding something that is part alcohol wont really muck anything up ??? hmmm lol...

I do my vanilla beans in Rum for about 6 weeks and they smell great more woodsy, much better than the vanilla extract in the store.

DH says lime and leather, tho not necessarily combined. He loves the old fashioned Old Spice type of scent, too. His current favorite is Green Irish Tweed. Gotta say....I really love that one. Neat recipe, Ian!

Save On Scents sells Old Spice which my customers swear is a good duplicate.

You can also make a thin lotion adding tamanu oil to it and allantoin.

Have fun buddy - isn't this a fun journey? You couldn't get my DE out of my cold dead hands - no more cartridges for me I'll tell you! I'm eyeing a pretty pink DE now.... :lol:

There are great copycat Aqua di Gio & Curve for Men out there. The ADG is sort of sweet, the CFM is a modern sort of spicy and very easy to wear without it getting annoying.

Will

ooooh i cant wait to get back from NY to try all these suggestions!!!

OHHH! and I found a new (awesome) one today,

Eucalyptus Spearmint... It definitely smells like something else that is not necessarily either or of these scents, but together they smell like some cologne i have had in the past but cant quite put my finger on the name... but mmmmm smells so nice!!!

Latest posts

Back