Do you "hate" any oil in particular?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use grapeseed oil as I think it causes DOS even at low percentages. This and it's short shelf life all add up to do not use this. Sunflower oil is so much better in soap.

The whole reason I started soaping is because I have a severe Tree Nut allergy and got tired of reading ingredient labels, so tree nut oils are not allowed in the house, let alone my soap. I was really disappointed that not a single bath subscription box type product was willing to sell a nut-free version. When I get frustrated I learn to do things myself.

I don't "hate" any oils yet, I'm still a newbie. I've only used lard, tallow, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, and castor oil so far. So far I don't like things too squeaky clean, so definitely like lard, tallow and olive the best.

I spent the time to render down beef suet into tallow and made sure that it was clean and nice and white and it turns out that I dislike tallow soap.I will say it was still cheaper than buying tallow for 23.99 a pint

So interesting. I guess there is a consensus of sorts ... there is canola oil that is gmo free, but I still don't like it. I personally do not hate soybean, but I will not cook with it either. I would not cook with lard or vegetable shortening too.

I only use OO or avocado oil for cooking.

I avoid some oils, not because I "hate" them but because my daughter's skin reacts to them (either due to direct allergies or here eczema that easily flares up). The definitely out list includes: almond oil, macadamia oil, peanut oil, and recently we discovered that all soaps with palm kernel flakes cause her skin to tingle and eczema to flare up. On the positive side: coconut and castor are in almost all of our soaps. I've tried virtually anything you can get from the grocery store and don't really like gooey soft bars, so I use far less of sunflower, safflower, canola, and corn oils.

But I do cook with canola and olive almost exclusively.

So interesting. I guess there is a consensus of sorts ... there is canola oil that is gmo free, but I still don't like it. I personally do not hate soybean, but I will not cook with it either. I would not cook with lard or vegetable shortening too.

I only use OO or avocado oil for cooking.

I use a lot of coconut oil for cooking, and it's fabulous if you do stove top popcorn. No butter needed, just dash on a little salt.

I haven't been soaping long enough to really have a 'hate' list, but I don't like liquid soybean oil in soap. I eat soy all the time, and have since I was quite young, as dried beans soaked and added to soups, as tofu and the whole soy gamut. No soy allergies here. But in soap, I got really bad DOS with soy. I don't cook with soy oil, though. I much prefer OO or Walnut Oil for cooking. If I make a cake, I do try to use a milder oil, but until I started soaping, the only oils I kept in the house were OO and sesame oil (I love the spicy sesame oil for certain foods) and an occasional mild oil to bake with. I did do a couple of years of cooking with CO until I got really tired of it. I went back to OO, and occasionally Walnut Oil for cooking.

When I was young and not pregnant, I did cook with lard and bacon grease, but when pregnant those turned my stomach. After becoming vegetarian all meat by-product oils left my house and not until very recently did I start to make soap with lard for my family who aren't vegetarian. But I still don't like the smell of it when I use it, so have cut back again. I've never used tallow for soap and although I can't say I 'never' will, it seems less likely that I will, and I doubt very much I'll ever be tempted to render fat myself given that I don't much like the smell of meat in any form.

I also don't like CO all that much for soap for a couple of reasons. One, it's so darned greasy! Clean-up is a real pain with CO. And two, too much of it in soap makes my skin so dry, I tend to avoid using it except in very low percentage. I don't 'hate' it, but it's just not one of my favorites.

Last edited:
I can't say I "hate" any oils but I always question a high percentage of OO in a recipe, of course barring a bastille or castile. To me, it's a filler oil at percentages over 50.
One of my mom's neighbors was from Spain. She said they used to have so much olive oil growing up on the farm they'd burn it for lighting. So, to me, that whole mystique around olive oil is basically what to do with an excess of an agricultural commodity, which can also be said for 100% of any other singular oil.

Red Palm Oil

I don't know whether I got a bad batch or not but Red Palm Oil stinks to high heaven and I refuse to use it. I don't like Lard or Canola either. I use lard in biscuits (yes, Southern American girl here) but that is about as far as I go. My favorite oils for soaping is coconut oil, avocado oil, apricot kernel oil, sunflower oil, castor oil and shea butter. I very rarely use palm or olive. Even the regular palm with no smell makes an awful bar to me.

I don't know whether I got a bad batch or not but Red Palm Oil stinks to high heaven and I refuse to use it. I don't like Lard or Canola either. I use lard in biscuits (yes, Southern American girl here) but that is about as far as I go. My favorite oils for soaping is coconut oil, avocado oil, apricot kernel oil, sunflower oil, castor oil and shea butter. I very rarely use palm or olive. Even the regular palm with no smell makes an awful bar to me.

Red Palm just stinks. Using more than 10% of that stuff is excessive use of RPO.

On no! I just saw red palm oil on clearance at the store, and got a jar to try it ...... :think:

On no! I just saw red palm oil on clearance at the store, and got a jar to try it ...... :think:

It works well to color your finished soap, but I suggest using a very small amount of it. I tested it out for the same reason, got some on clearance. I made a small batch with 18% as red palm and still it was too much. The color bleeds when washing hands and no color was added to the batter. This is how it looked when first cut and the color is still about the same, perhaps a bit darker.

Red%20Palm%20Oil%20Soap%202016May5%20-%20001.jpg

even after going through saponification??
For me, no.

I make this "Ginger Blossom" soap for my wholesale customer to match the lotion of the same name and we sell a lot of it. I've used red palm from the African Market and from Soapers Choice. Both are good. There's some charcoal sediment on the bottom of the container, but it doesn't smell off to me and the finished bars have an elegant feel. Here's the recipe.

38% Water (& goat milk powder added to oils)
5% NaOH
62.5% red palm
23% pomace olive oil
14.5% palm kernel oil (flakes)
ROE (1/2 tsp ppo)

ADDITIVES
1.5% Sodium Lactate
Tussah Silk
0.5% citric acid (20% solution)
5% White Ginger & Amber FO (BB)

I actually like the color of your soap earlene, So pretty! And thank you Zany. I will try your recipe. I have this amazing red saffron ginger FO calling the red palm oil. I guess there is no other way to know until I use it, but will follow earlene advice, and is only 10%

Wish me luck!

Back