~*~ SMF May 2017 Challenge - Fluid Acrylic Cell Pour!! ~*~
~ May 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread ~

Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Aromatherapy, Herbs and Essential Oils > Bay Rum Aftershave from EO

Old 05-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #11
BayBoy

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hi Millie!

Thank you so much for such thoughtful and informative responses.

Yes I think I can do this with EO and I'll stay away from FO. Just seems like a more fun challenge.

The vanilla part is the mystery, but I can try your advice to use vanillin or maybe find non-browning vanilla.

Millie Likes This 
Old 05-14-2017, 06:10 PM   #12
BayBoy

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey IrishL,

Interesting formula you are using! One question...

I found that the Pimenta Racemosa EO is very overpowering imo. Even just a few two or three drops. How did the mix with 11 drops(!) come out.

Also, in your experience, how many drops per ounce are you averaging?

Old 05-16-2017, 01:06 AM   #13
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 6295 Times on 3230 Posts
Likes Given: 4203

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayBoy View Post
Hey IrishL,

Interesting formula you are using! One question...

I found that the Pimenta Racemosa EO is very overpowering imo. Even just a few two or three drops. How did the mix with 11 drops(!) come out.

Also, in your experience, how many drops per ounce are you averaging?

Hi BayBoy!

To be honest- I really didn't care for the blend I made with 11 drops Bay racemosa, which also included 1 drop orange EO 10X and 1 drop allspice EO. My hubby didn't care for it either. I think it's the citrus addition that we don't like. Our noses much prefer bay mixed with FOs that have notes of amber, musk and/or vanilla instead of citrus.

On average, I use about 8 drops of my EO blend in 1 oz. of my aftershave ingredients.

As an aside, I found an old Bay Rum recipe from a book published in 1889. The recipe includes sandalwood and vanilla. Here is a link to it You'll need to scroll down just a tad to see it. I don't particularly care for the sound of some of the listed ingredients in it such as acetic acid and acetic ether, but I'm thinking of blending/steeping just the EOs themselves plus the vanilla using the ratios listed, but reduced down in order to make only enough fill a half ounce bottle to see what kind of scent it produces. When done steeping, I'll mix 8 drops of it in 1 oz. of my aftershave formula to have my hubby try it out.

IrishLass
Millie Likes This 
Old 05-19-2017, 10:50 PM   #14
BayBoy

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey IrishLass,

I love that old recipe!

I finally got my hands on some allspice oil and I think this might be a key to getting the scent combo that I want. I'll probably use Allspice, clove and a small amount of P. Racemosa. Plus the vanilla to round it out.

I could use vanilla absolute, but it's very tricky to work with. I don't suppose store bought vanilla extract is a proper option, do you?
Millie Likes This 
Old 05-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #15
Millie

Liked 214 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayBoy View Post

I could use vanilla absolute, but it's very tricky to work with. I don't suppose store bought vanilla extract is a proper option, do you?
Oops, hit the like button when I meant to hit quote. But hey, I like it too

I think vanilla extract would work in this, but it will get very pricey! I make my own vanilla extract soaking vanilla beans (reasonably priced if you buy them in bulk) in vodka. It takes a few months, but well worth it! I haven't read up on it too much, but I think the original bay rum aftershaves were made in a similar fashion using whole spices, as IL and TEG have mentioned.