First impressions of Northern Louisiana

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kchaystack, has your KitchenAid turned up yet? Did you use a professional moving company? If you did it yourself or had friends help you, maybe what happened was what happened to us once when we moved. We accidentally left a box on the front porch and drove off without it. What a bummer, though, right?

No, it has not turned up. IBM used professional pack and move, so I have to file a claim, and they should reimburse me for what was lost. I am currently trying to figure out what I need to do this.

I know you say your are renting, but is it possible the water is softened where you are living? The only time I feel like I can't wash the soap off in the shower is when the water softener salt is brand new and the first cycle or two is run. That is when the water is the softest and for me that's when it feels like the soap isn't rinsing off.

No, as Susie said above it is REALLY soft water. I must have never lived in a place with soft water. I actually pulled out a salt bar w 20% SF and used it. I did not like them in MI because even at a 6 month cure it was drying. But down here it is great. So I guess my CO will go up.

Water tastes different everywhere I go. In fact I started carrying a Brita Water Filter pitcher and filter with me when I travel because sometimes the water is so awful that I can't stand to even make tea with it let alone drink it straight out of the tap. The best tap water I've ever tasted was in Manhattan. The worst was on my grandfather's ranch in Southern California.

I just got a water delivery service. It is not expensive at all, and I use so much distilled for things anyway I might as well have them deliver it. :)

I tried a Brita here, the tap water was still funny tasting.

BTW, you might want to change your listed location in your profile. Or not.

Doh! Done.

No, it has not turned up. IBM used professional pack and move, so I have to file a claim, and they should reimburse me for what was lost. I am currently trying to figure out what I need to do this.

Oh gosh good luck on that. IBM is pretty good with their movers I am told.

I used to work for IBM in RTP. Man, the stories I could tell... ;-)

Good luck in LA. I don't know much about northern LA but I have spent quite a bit of time south of I-10. What a gorgeous place, so rich in culture... and MARDI GRAS. One of my goals before I die is to experience rural Mardi Gras.

--Scooter

No, as Susie said above it is REALLY soft water. I must have never lived in a place with soft water. I actually pulled out a salt bar w 20% SF and used it. I did not like them in MI because even at a 6 month cure it was drying. But down here it is great. So I guess my CO will go up.

I'm told that NYC water is considered to be soft, and it's true that I've never seen the more noticeable effects of hard water that people describe. But "soft water" is a relative thing. I stay in hotels often, sometime weekly, and occasionally the higher rated ones have water softening systems. When I stay in those, soap just never feels like it has rinsed off, even when it totally has.

Good luck in your new 'hood.

Oh gosh good luck on that. IBM is pretty good with their movers I am told.

I used to work for IBM in RTP. Man, the stories I could tell... ;-)

Good luck in LA. I don't know much about northern LA but I have spent quite a bit of time south of I-10. What a gorgeous place, so rich in culture... and MARDI GRAS. One of my goals before I die is to experience rural Mardi Gras.

--Scooter

Rural Mardi Gras is so very different than the drunken mess that is in New Orleans. And, if you ever get a chance to go to a Courir de Mardi Gras festival, go! It is truly the traditional Cajun (as opposed to Creole that is celebrated in south east Louisiana) Mardi Gras.

Last edited:
Back