What colors?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godschild

Reaction score
Tomorrow I will be making my first colorant order. I was wondering what colors from WSP are your favorite to use? Which ones don't fade in light, morph, etc. I am ordering from them because of the free shipping unless you can tell me of somewhere better I should order from and why. I hope someone can help me out here. I think the neons are pretty on the page but it says you have to use a filter stuff that I haven't researched yet. I guess I am just wondering out of all their colors, which are your favorite and which red is a real red, which blue stays blue, and what purple doesn't turn to grey, etc. I would like to order at least each primary color to start with. I don't care for brown and I will keep using act. charcoal for my black. I like bright dark colors if that makes sense. If you would share what you use, please do.

Making soap is supposed to be my happy hobby but it is stressing me out trying to decide which colors to order when there are so many to choose from and a lot of them have reviews that worry me. Please help...

the Matte Lavender Ultramarine Powder makes a nice light purple for me. No sure if any red is really red, many people mix different products to try and get a true red. I have the sample pack of neon colors, I've not used many of them yet but the pink hasn't faded yet. I also got the oil locking micas, the blue morphed to nothing on me but they are good for top swirls.
I'm fond of oxides. Get a few basic colors and you can mix them to create you own colors. Always double check that whatever you buy is safe in high PH products. I have blue aquamarine, green oxide, brown oxide, titanium oxide. I'd like to get the teal green and yellow oxides and something to make a bright orange. The crimson mica looks really nice too and you have to have some kind of gold mica.

For beginning I would order high ph lab colors from Bramble Berry. Just a side note for lavender and purple, most will be gray until the soap cures for a day or so. Lab colors are also the most inexpensive in my opinon since you dilute them and a few drops will color nicely plus she has a wide range of colors. B&B may not be my favority supplier but the colors are great. Here neon pigments are also easy to use and color very brightly. WSP may state free shipping but it is not free shipping. Every item has shipping included in the price. They are my least favorite supplier mainly because of their shipping. With enough poking around on their website there is or was a statement attesting to the fact that shipping is figured in the price

I do big batch hp and I would have to dump every color in a sample pack in one batch to color one batch with them only coming in .1 or .2 sizes. I don't have a crockpot small enough to do a batch small enough to use just one color at a time for those small packs. I wanted to order a dark blue, dark green, red, yellow, and so on. I also am ordering the neons even though some reviews said they fade. One even said her soap faded inside her tent! I could just order a sample pack and separate it into a bunch of cups and do it that way but I'm out of the dye I bought at Michaels and don't want to have to wait on a sample pack to find out which ones don't take a whole bunch to dye the soap a nice dark color, and then have to wait on it to be shipped after I order what I find out works. I checked out the bb labcolors and I don't like any of the blues. Also, none of them are a nice dark colors. I am so discouraged. Why can't they just say blue, yellow, etc and either come in light or dark? Instead, you get yellow/green or bluish green, etc. To be able to check out their color mixing chart to see if I could make the colors I want in the first place, you have to pay to see it.

Back