Heat sealable packet hell

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aab1

Reaction score
My business that makes me the majority of my income requires hundreds of heat sealable packets every month and since 2014 I've been having an absolute nightmare getting these.

I used to buy them from Scent Works which was already a nightmare to deal with (they simply never answer any emails for any reason) because they were the only source I knew of of these packets so I had no choice.

They have now been out of stock for several months, of course never answering emails about when they'll get them back in stock which they still don't have and assume they never will again after so long.

To keep my business running, I got 200 at an absurd cost on eBay, only to get rechargeable AAA batteries instead.

I then had SaffireBlue custom order some for me (they used to sell only the bigger ones), I got the order today and instead of sending the ones they had custom ordered just for me they sent the old bigger ones they already sold.

With all these major problems I've now run out of stock and have no choice but to update my packaging to fit these larger packets until SaffireBlue can send me the correct ones which should have been these (I noticed they didn't list the size on these smaller ones, maybe that's why they sent te wrong ones):

http://www.saffireblue.ca/shop/pack...able-white-mylar-foil-mini-pouch#.Uz25w_m2jwk

Does anyone know of another source that sells these packets in 2x4.75" size?

It's unbelievable that out of 3 suppliers not one can get the right item to me.

Thank you

Last edited:
Thanks, but neither are the right size. The size I need is 2x4.75", the size is important because I built a Lego machine to fill and seal these automatically for me because I sell hundreds per month and filling that many manually was driving me absolutely insane, and my packaging is designed for the 2x4.75 packets.

SaffireBlue will probably replace/exchange the ones I bought, I asked them to rush the replacement as I desperately need those packets ASAP.

I had been keeping an emergency stack of 100 in case of such problems, but with 3 providers in a row failing to deliver the packets I've ran out of my 100 extra packets in just a few days. From now on I might keep 200 or more spare packets.

Hopefully SaffireBlue resolves the issue quickly.

Here's a video of the Lego machine I made to fill and seal these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1scQTNmd4M

I'm operating it one handed in the video, but both the filling and sealing stations can work independently, so with both hands the machine operates twice as fast as it fills one packet while it seals the other. I originally planned to make the machine 100% automatic, but after spending over $1000 in Legos I realized I'd need at least another $500 of Legos to make it 100% automatic and it already makes the job 10 times faster as it is so I've left it like that for now. If sales go better I might get another $500 Lego robotics kit to make it fully automated.

My business requires me to have specialized packaging items, and I sometimes run into sourcing problems too. Based on that experience, I would suggest you keep about 2 month's supply as your minimum inventory, not just a few hundred packets. I know that ties up capital, but it's better than running around in a panic. You will also be better able to respond to unusual orders more easily if you have a reasonable minimum inventory on hand.

Back