Feedback on solid conditioner bar recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neonstudy

Reaction score
Hi! I'd like to make a solid conditioner bar. I bought 3 ingredients from BB for this:
Btms- 50
[FONT=&quot]DL-Panthenol
Cetearyl Alcohol
Plus I have various oils and butters for soapmaking.

I have this as my first trial recipe. Do you have any feedback about the percentages? Anything I should add?
[/FONT]64% BTMS 50 19.2 g
10% Cetearyl Alcohol 3 g
5% cocoa butter 1.5 g
5% avocado butter 1.5 g
5% shea butter 1.5 g
5% argan oil 1.5 g

5% DL-Panthenol 1.5 g
1% Vitamin E 0.3 g

My recipe is fairly similar to yours, but adjusted to suit my fine, wavy, shoulder length hair. My last batch or two have included hemisqualane (not squalane -- hemisqualane) as a silicone alternative to help detangle and reduce combing force. It works really well and I also find it adds softness and helps reduce frizziness. I use panthenol at 2%, but the suggested usage rate is 1% to 5% so your 5% is reasonable. I use a little less fat to avoid weighing down my fine hair, but 20% total fat might work really well for medium to coarse hair. I also use a preservative (phenonip). The surface of the bar basically becomes a lotion when it gets wet, and I want to discourage microbial growth.

I've never made a hair conditioner bar, so I can't help with your recipe but if you scroll down to the bottom of this page, you'll see links to other threads on the subject. Good luck!

neon, if you search for the thread on frizzy hair, Dee Anna's recipe is there. I've tried it, it's both easy and really nice! And it doesn't have a zillion ingredients, so that adds to the appeal.

Latest posts

Back