Molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering, I've made soap in silicone and paper lined wooden molds. I really like the appearance of the soap from the wooden molds so much better, is that the norm? :think:

Hey, you like what you like. I personally prefer the silicon and dislike the lined molds, but that's me. It's great that you prefer the lined molds.

I'm switching over to silicone, and really liking it. My last batch of soap came out just perfect, no crumbled edges and no weird texture on the sides. Paper lining always seems to leave ripples on the sides when I've used it. I used parchment, freezer paper is apparently not a thing here and I don't really feel much of a need to order any online. I've also got teflon sheets and silicone baking mats to make liners for wooden molds, but I'm thinking those are going into long term storage for the most part since I do like the silicone.

I love my silicone molds too. I want my bars to have a consistent finish. using silicone molds is so easy too. Lining molds takes ages. Silicone molds really need a wooden box to keep them absolutely true - without it they bow.

Last edited:
I started off with a homemade wooden box that I lined with freezer paper. Once I got my first silicone mold, I never looked back. But as mentioned above, it's about what YOU like, and what works best for you.

I think maybe I am taking the soap out too early. I really need to find some patience somewhere.
SherlockJo.gif

I like both. I like that my soap from my wooden mold has perfectly straight sides, so it is a breeze to cut. And I never have to worry about mold rash when CPOPing my soap in it. (I don't mind lining it. I have several liners pre-cut.) I like that my silicone molds are smaller so I can make smaller batches with them. I started using them first, but I love my wooden mold. I gel all my soaps, so they are hard when I unmold and cut. So no weird anything on the sides.

For me it doesn't matter so much whether silicone lined or freezer paper lined. However, once planed and beveled, there is not much difference in how they look. Some silicone molds tend to produce a smoother, sleeker surface, but some do not and I do have some of both.

Back