CP with MP Drop Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpstephy85

Reaction score
I found this lovely video by Handmade in Florida and was wondering if anyone has tried it and if you see any issues with how the soap would be. I have some MP I would like to use up but really don't want to do embeds. TIA

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TzuqADsHL4[/ame]

I've done it before. I had issues with it trying to separate when I cut. But I may have waited too long. It looks really cool though. Especially when you use clear MP and the light shines though

I made one with M&P drops in it too but I used mica to color it, since that is all I had. Don't do that because it makes the M&P more opaque and it doesn't look very good, to be honest. If you have a clear liquid color to use for the M&P, that's the ticket.

I've done it before. It acted weird when I poured it... Kind of pooled on top and then slid under my CP and pooled (until I guess it cooled down a little) without making pretty drops. I think I needed to change up how firm my CP batter was, but I'm not whether having it firmer would have been better or maybe more liquidy... maybe I needed to pour from higher. The soap itself worked out fine. It was a little challenging to cut with a knife since the M&P was much harder than the CP. Be careful! It performs fine though. :)

It was a Halloween batch - I colored the M&P with orange mica and glow in the dark powder... In retrospect, I should have used a lot less M&P. You can see where it broke through, pooled and then burst down through the CP.

photo11_zps3fa34de3.jpg

Isn't Zahida talented? I love everything she does.

I did her soap twice, once with M&P embeds, and once as a drop swirl.
Both were fantastic.

Newbie, you didn't like M&P colored with micas? I prefer it because mine retains its transparency. I've used the color blocks from bb, and neons in glycerin, but like mica's better. Do you suppose it's the type of M&P base?

Last edited:
yes, i love Zahida's works! she is absolutely talented.

i've done the cp with mp drop swirl. sadly, i don't have any photos of it. it didn't come out good as my fo accelerated.

things i've noticed: transparent mp creates better effect, do big drop swirls for maximum glass effect (mine was thin swirls and they didn't come nice), well behaved scent is a must, otherwise you're in big trouble :D

sorry, but as you can see, I'm a newbie.
What is that Melt and pour? Is it like a "base" of soap that you can melt and use?

I do this method on a couple of soaps as well. I find on some soaps it adds a nice touch. The first one has gold mica in the M&P and the second one has liquid color for M&P which is nice and transparent. I wish I had a picture of the light shining through it. I have had the M&P sort of pool on the bottom once, but I think I poured it too hot into batter that was too thin. I think it works best when the batter is slightly thickened and the M&P has cooled to almost starting to set. If you live where it's humid, the M&P will sweat so after the soap is cured I find it needs to be shined up and shrink wrapped to look it's best.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1421262618.158546.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1421262626.659746.jpg

sorry, but as you can see, I'm a newbie.
What is that Melt and pour? Is it like a "base" of soap that you can melt and use?

Yes, you can buy melt and pour soap bases that you then color and scent to your preference. And the "clear liquid" in the soaps shown is the melt and pour. It has a transparent/translucent appearance.

I do this method on a couple of soaps as well. I find on some soaps it adds a nice touch. The first one has gold mica in the M&P and the second one has liquid color for M&P which is nice and transparent. I wish I had a picture of the light shining through it. I have had the M&P sort of pool on the bottom once, but I think I poured it too hot into batter that was too thin. I think it works best when the batter is slightly thickened and the M&P has cooled to almost starting to set. If you live where it's humid, the M&P will sweat so after the soap is cured I find it needs to be shined up and shrink wrapped to look it's best.

View attachment 11765View attachment 11766

Ohhh I really like the tear/rain drop look!:clap:

Maybe I used too much mica. Whatever I did, I did not impress myself. And I also poured the M&P in streams that were too small; it does need to be poured more heavily so you get a pool of it or enough to teardrop, like TViv's. I also poured mine when the CP base was too thin and most of the M&P landed on the bottom and mixed. Hmmmmm, it seems I managed to make every mistake for trying this technique.

I tried it once and unfortunately used an FO that accelerates, so my results were not as I had hoped they'd be. I've been thinking of doing it again this weekend with a lime FO just for fun :)

Back