Is high heat safflower oil the same as high oleic?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Trying to figure out which SoapCalc listing I should use for my safflower oil. It is Spectrum brand, "High Heat." My understanding is that high oleic has higher monounsaturated fat and lower polyunsaturated & saturated fat than regular. This has 11 g mono, 2 g poly, and 1 g saturated. But I can't find anything on-line to compare it to.

I suspect it is regular since it is not labeled as high oleic, but does anyone know for sure?

I'd still like to know the answer, but I see now that it doesn't make a lick of difference to the amount of lye needed in my recipe. It rounds to the same number. But the iodine/softness level is pushing the limit with the regular, so hopefully it's HO.

Hey there! According to my notes, HO safflower is roughly 75% oleic (monounsaturate) and the rest is mostly linoleic (poly) and a dab of palmitic (saturated).

The regular safflower is the reverse -- about 75% linoleic and the rest mostly oleic and palmitic.

I'd say you have the HO version.

I use HO safflower a lot in my soap as an alternative to olive. I like it and plan to keep using it.

I doubt I would use more than just a dab of the regular safflower in soap -- it's too high in linoleic to use in large amounts. The downside of using it in a high % are the soap will be softer to unmold, will have a shorter life in the shower, and have a higher potential for DOS.

I took it out of the silicone mold after one day, but I didn't cut it until today (2 days later, 3 total). Most of the loaf was reasonably hard but there were small sections of edge that were soft. Not sure what's up with that -- I've never had differential hardening like that. I did use higher water (32% of oils) than I usually do because I thought I was going to make an intricate design (the soap had its own ideas about that). I also started with it in the freezer for awhile (10 hrs?) and then moved it to the frig for a few, so maybe that contributed. 35 Lard / 23 CO / 20 HOS / 15 OO / 7 Caster.

This was my first time using safflower. I'm not enamored with olive but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the HOS so I probably won't be switching. Or that's what I think now anyway. We'll see what I think after showering with it!

Could the soft edges be from the condensation that formed and soaked into the soap when you took the soap loaf out of the freezer/fridge? Just a wild guess....

Sure could be. I haven't had that effect before but usually I just take it straight out of the freezer without going into the frig. Or maybe just having a wetter soap to begin with made it thaw a little differently.

Latest posts

Back