Too late for gel?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Curious as to whether you can take a batch still in mold that has been refrigerated over night and force it to go into gel in the oven?
Its still zappy and quite soft. What temps would I use and should it be insulated? Its in a wood log mold.

Ah.. it's time for Interesting question I want to see the pro's answer.

When my goop separated the next day and I was able to mix the oils and it went through saponifying all over again cause of the oils I assume.
But I think after you get to a certain stage you wouldn't have enough reaction left to get it to heat up that much and force a gel? Are you wanting to CPOP?
I've had a few that I did at around 7pm and they went to fridge and I unmolded the next morning already but most I let sit on the counter for about 12 hours. They never heat up though at all after coming out of the fridge from overnight. Thinking that means a lot of the process is done?

Last edited:
Yes, I was thinking CPOP might work. There really is quite a zap with my pink batch from yesterday. I poured around noon and its still no where close to done with saponification. Its still really soft too which isn't completly surprising since its 45% OO and I used full water so I'd have thin batter to swirl with.
Even if it doesn't gel, maybe a warm oven will help it along. It gets quite cool at night here, especially when I leave the doors open and fans going.

Well I can't think of what you'd have to lose so long as you don't mess with the design once it's loose. If it's that loose there is maybe lots of free oils still and they can use the boost.
I have 2 very slow moving recipes I've been using for 5-6 of my batches and they don't take long to set. I'm crazy about swirling so message me if you ever want it. :) You can then decide if you like the amounts for yourself or not. Both I think are 35-40% OO but one does have 5% Palm kernal flakes you could sub out if you don't have. I just did think PKflakes one again last night and it sped up a small bit with my fragrance but the base color didn't since it wasn't added but a tiny bit to that one.

Last edited:
This recipe actually has 11% PKF. Its set but very soft, much like my 100% castile is after 12 hours. I really think its the high water thats keeping it soft, plus my colors were dissolved in water so there is extra from that.
What water discount do you use when making swirls? My batter stayed a bit thin when I was making my layers, not quite sure how it will affect the look once I do get it cut.

You could try CPOP but I'm guessing with the large amount of olive oil and full liquid you may need to wait anywhere from 3 days to a week. I would just continue to check it for zappiness and firmness. Saponification can take much longer in a non-gelled soap.

I might have to learn how to properly gel my soaps, I hate waiting this long. The times I tried to gel, it either over heated or was partial.

I would let it cure for a bit and see what happens regarding the zap. I have never had any luck trying to force gel after the fact, it gets me an oil slick on top of the soap.

I've had it in a 170* oven for a couple hours now. Its not gelling but it has gotten softer and the colors have intensified a lot. I'll start to cool it off now, don't want a oily mess.

When I gel I always put it in the oven preheated to 170 and then turn it off. This is for wooden molds and the only goop you know about and that was cause I left it on for 20 min.
Obviously you can have other heat variables like fragrance, honey, milk, citrus EO, etc. but if I don't have those this works great for mine. Milks I actually have done CPOP with no problems. One discolored but at gel I found it and put it in the fridge and it went light again. :)
Silicone/hard plastic CPOP ( I do the same but at about 20 min I turn the oven on once more,
Heat to 170 and turn off.

I'll have to try that with the next batch. My pink stuff has cooled off now and is much firmer and the colors are incredibly vivid. Does gelling always make the colors brighter?

Yep.. mine get brighter. Not sure if you saw mine a while back with the major purple color change? Added fragrance an my purple went some ugly color.. think it was brownish. I gelled it and it went to a gorgeous purple.

I'll have to remember that. I just cut my pink batch and wow, its really vivid but pretty. I didn't see your purple soaps, will go look for them.

Back