Delayed rash from too much lye still or high ph?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenneelk

Reaction score
I thought many used their soaps early even though they weren't 'ideal' but still useable after a few weeks. I tried a soap today after 3.5 weeks curing and started to do my face and stopped realizing I should wait for that area.
While working on my computer I started realizing my chin and lower jaw were very itchy and I have a bumpy rash. :/

I'm not bothered anywhere else, just my face.

Three and a half weeks should be plenty of time, but faces can be more sensitive. Without knowing what is in your soap and what your method was its hard to guess the problem.

This was sample of my basic lard recipe.

25% CO
50% Lard
10% Castor
15% unrefined shea olean (I input in soap cal as fractionated shea oil)
Maybe that was wrong? I researched and it seemed to be right.

65 ounces oils, 22.75 water, 9.00 lye 7% superfat

Last edited:
Didn't run it through a calc. because my computer is down but it looks ok to me. 25% coconut gives a higher lauric acid count than I like but you did give it a 7%'super fat. Maybe you are one of those people that just can't do coconut oil? Do you have any batches with PKO instead to compare with? I hope it works out for you it seems you are trying so hard! Good Luck and don't give up. Sissy

I don't think I've done any with PKO yet but I'll look because I do have the oil here.
CO I wouldn't have issue with because it's in my cream I make and use on my face.

Does lard ever bother people that you know of?
I'll also look at other recipes with lower lauric acid.. think this is my highest CO except my 85% one that is 17% superfat.

thanks for the help!

The coconut oil in your cream is just that, coconut oil. Once it's in soap it's a whole different thing. It no longer coconut oil.

yes I do but usually the refined, I've never used this liquid/chunky Olean kind from Soapers. I have a bunch and don't like the smell so figured I'd use it in some soap.

I might try a patch test on my chin tomorrow if this clears up.. it's making me a bit nuts.

Back