The training wheels are off

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maiseycat

Reaction score
This is technically my second CP batch, but my first was done in a class with an instuctor at hand, so this is my first solo attempt.

This is the recipe I used:
1 Olive Oil pomace 158 g
2 Cherry Kern1 Oil, p.avium 22 g
3 Castor Oil 45g
4 Palm Kernel Oil 158g
5 Shea Butter 68g
Sodium Hydroxide 62g
Water 172 g

I used a Pringles can as my mold, as I had seen someone post about using one. I don't much like the result. The heat from the gel phase caused the plastic lining to bubble out and deform the shape of my soap. The appearance actually alarmed me at first, as it caused some cracking on the surface from making the soap move so much after starting to set. But the inside looks amazin (I think) and it passed the zap test. Since its just for me and my husband to use for now, I'm not too worried about the odd shape.
Soaplog.jpg

soapcut1.jpg

soapcut2.jpg

I am trying to decide if I should do a second batch soon, using the container I was given as a makeshift mold for my class, or wait for the wooden molds I ordered to arrive.

Congratulations on your first solo soapmaking! It can seem a bit scary in the beginning (and even later) but that's why soapmaking is so interesting! You'll have many soaps not go exactly according to plan (happens to all of us) but it appears your first attempt was a success, and thats more than many of us can say haha.

Thank you! I have been doing a lot of reading, the science behind soap making fascinates me. I think I am essentially reverting to a kid with a chemistry set, and enjoying myself immensely. There are so many things I want to try, like coffee, wine, beer and milk soaps, but I have promised myself to get a few more simple ones under my belt first.

I read a few soapmaking books back in Feb and began soaping in April I think, so I'm pretty new. I would completely agree with the whole starting simple idea! I was pretty ambitious after just a few attempts - some went well, some did not. And there are just so many variables in soapmaking as it is, if you throw in a bunch of additives or too many colorants etc, it can be tough to determine specifically where you went wrong. It's much better to get comfortable with the basics. It makes problem-solving waaay easier later. Soap is totally addicting though. Oh, meant to tell you, I checked out your blog and I like it! The name of the blog is cute too :)

Thanks about the blog. I don't have a lt of posts yet on it for obvious reasons. Thanks about the name too. I have to admit I spent awhile thinking it up :wink:

Yeah! Make a second batch... :twisted: You can also use a milk carton for a mould until your proper ones turn up. I use them and find them pretty good and a nice way to recycle the cartons. :wink: And not that I'm giving you idea's or anything but my first milk soap was coconut milk (just added at trace, super easy).

Never mind the wonky shape when it came out of the mold. I really like how they turned out when you cut them. :)

I noticed you had Cherry Kernel listed in your recipe. Did you use that to calculate for Coconut Oil? The reason I ask
I remember several years ago I read something about that.

Thank you!

Clara - Milk carton could work well. I also have the drawer-organizer plastic thing I used in my class. I just really liked the idea of a round mold, and the Pringles can sounded so easy. I may need to try the PVC pipe I have read about others using sometime.

Hausfrau - Thank you, I really like how the inside looks when cut, too. Waiting for them to cure is the worst part, lol

aroma - I used soapcalc.net to calculate for me. According to the supplier, Cherry Oil is reputed to have some anti-itch properties. It didn't really cost me all that much, so I figured I would give it a try, but I think I will use the rest as an adiitive in some lotion or bath melts, as I doubt I am getting too much benefit from anti itch in a soap. I had to do some tweaking on soapcalc though, after I realized I had Palm kernel oil, and not straight Palm oil.

Congratulations on your first solo batch! Don't worry about the odd shape, it will smooth out after you've used it several times. :wink:

It looks like it's going to very bubbly. Please post back and let us know what you think of the lather. :D

Hazel said:
Congratulations on your first solo batch! Don't worry about the odd shape, it will smooth out after you've used it several times. :wink:

It looks like it's going to very bubbly. Please post back and let us know what you think of the lather. :D

Will do. I almost wish I had HP'd it so I didn't have to wait so long :lol:

I allow HP to cure about 3-4 weeks because it's not just water evaporation which occurs during this time. The soap also gets milder and I've noticed the lather becomes better, too.

I love the line about the training wheels. :) Congrats on your first batch. I agree with the others - go ahead and do a second batch. That's about the time the addiction *really* takes hold. I tried a couple of batches in Pringles cans and probably won't do any more. They turned out okay but I'm just not too sure about those metal bottoms and the liner paper. I'm loving the PVC molds I scraped up. My brother gave me some odds and ends pieces and I bought end caps at the hardware store. For a loaf mold I'm using a narrow drawer from my TV cabinet. I've been lining with freezer paper, but a friend told me about helping a local Amish lady make soap and she lines her molds with that press and seal stuff . . . is it called Press and Seal? I'm going to try that next. I definitely am one of those who now looks at pretty much everything with a "Would that make a good soap mold?" frame of mind.

It's been a couple of days short of 4 weeks, and I couldn't wait any longer. I tried a one of the slices, the lather so far is more creamy than bubbly, and feels very nice. I will try again in a week or two, and post back if the feel chages significantly :)

They look great and very creamy. :D I think you gave the bars a good cure before trying one out (I almost never can wait past 3 weeks) and now you know for sure how you'll like that recipe.

Latest posts

Back