Vanilla Content

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crafty86

Reaction score
I have had some bad luck with this problem. I understand Vanilla in a FO will make it discolor. OK got that. Does anyone know how high you could go % wise to not get a discolor? Or does it not matter? I was looking at the Gingersnap Cookies from WSP with a vanilla content of 2.8%. Is that going to totally discolor the soap or just give it a "Gingersnap" color? I'm getting confused with the %'s. Should I steer clear of any vanilla %, or is there a special number that doesn't do so bad?

Maybe try a test batch with your desired percent of FO - I don't know what 2.8% vanilla content means in terms of how brown it will get!

I'm not sure how much the Vanillin percentage actually contributes to the depth of the brown. For one, as I understand it it is not just vanillin that can cause soap to brown. Other components in FOs can cause discoloring as well. I know I've made soaps that claim to have % Vanillin and they still turn a shade of tan. I also find that different suppliers FOs with similar vanillin contents can turn widely different shades of brown. I suppose as a general rule, the higher the vanillin, the darker the brown, but it's not really a clear-cut science. I'm no expert on this, just speaking from my own experience.
Having said that, since you were specifically asking about a Gingersnap fragrance, I haven't encountered one that hasn't discolored to a gingerbread brown-like color. I've never tried WSPs version, but I've tried a number of others from various suppliers and they've all turned a relatively deep brown--similar to gingerbread. If you're going for that color, I'd add some colorants just to be sure it turns the color you're after.

I hope that helps a little bit!

-Christine

For what it's worth and if it helps, I've used Caribbean Coconut from WSP (which has a 10% vanillin content according to WSP's site), and it only darkens to a light tan for me with the addition of 1 tsp ppo of TD.

IrishLass :)

I think the only way to really know is to test for yourself - unless you know someone who is using EXACTLY the same materials you do, you won't know for sure.
Vanillin is definitely a culprit but there may be others too.

Back