Cleansing Value Really High

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSky

Reaction score
I tried my hand at using up left over supplies and made a 1 lb. batch of soap. I'm not sure what I was thinking--probably that I was trying to get the INS value where it is supposed to be (not doing that any more). But, in looking at my sheet, the Cleansing value is 24. It's 40% palm kernel, 30% cocoa butter, 30% avocado butter, super fat 8%. Would you use it or pitch it?

Couldn't you use it in another soap?
Have you used it? How does it feel on your skin?

I would wait a bit until it cures , and try it out.If you don't like it , you can shred it up and use it a laundry soap , or rebatch it :D

Kitn

I really like the look of chunking up CP soap and using it to embed in new CP soap. I like the way it looks. So I'd probably do that before I'd throw it out.

And if you decided to do that....since what you'd be embedding is high on the cleansing level, you could then make the new soap low on cleansing so once you put them together, they should balance out.

zeo

Jamn!, I haven't used it yet--it needs to cure another 3 weeks. As for using it in another soap, I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'm still trying to make a batch that I'm pleased with. I just tried to cut my last batch and it is so soft and sticky the soap sticks to the blade and I have to slide it off--and it is 3 days out of the mold. :cry:

What was your lye solution strength? Or what was your percent of water as oil weight?

As for embedding, don't be so sure. All you need to know how to do is cut it up or shave it into curls. And then drop it in the mold after your new soap batter is poured. The only issues will be whether or not it sinks to the bottom or stays suspended but both options look pretty and with practice, you'll be able to control that by how thick your trace is.

And the good news is....you don't have to do it anytime soon if you're not ready. Just cut it up and set it aside.

But I agree with Kitn that you still need to test it to make sure you don't like it. Maybe cut it up for embedding but also leave a piece for testing. Just so you'll have a reference for what those numbers feel like.

However you want to do it is fine. I was just trying to encourage you to keep it versus throwing it away. :)

zeo

I think I will try both...it was a 1 lb. batch, so I don't have a lot to use up. It's one of my nicest looking batches so far, so I really do want to try it. But the embedding thing sounds like a lot of fun, too. The soap is pure white in color, so I bet embedding it in a colored batch would be pretty. I think I'll try embedding my next batch and save the rest to try later. Is one 4 oz. bar enough to put into a 2 lb. loaf?

c

actually, that would be nice to give to someone who gets their hands greasy-like a mechanic.

my husbands soaps are usually 24-25 cleansing value and 8-10% superfat. (he gets really greasy at times and loves it-it doesn't dry out his hands!)

Perfect heartsong--I know just the concrete guy. Between him, me, and embedding, I will be able to use it all up. Thanks.

Most of my soaps are 22 - 23 cleansing value and I use between a 6 - 8% superfat. They are lovely soaps as the balance of my oils are high conditioning. Definitely wait the 4 weeks cure and then try it. You may be very agreeably surprised.

Tanya :)

Blue, I'll tell you a neat trick that I have done on a few occasions.

You can shred the batch (either batch) and add them in equal portions to a new batch that compliments them.

Example: For the batch that is too cleansing: Grate it up and add it in equal amounts to a batch that has little or no "cleansing" oils. It could be, say, palm, shortening, canola, etc. And you add up to 50/50 grated soap with the same weight of the new recipe oils. (did that make sense???) In other words, if your new soap oils weigh 30 oz. total, then you need no more than 30 oz. of grated soap to add to that recipe (you don't include the water weight of the new soap in your figuring of how much grated soap to use).

I've used this option for a number of "not right" batches over the years, and it works so well, plus the final soap has a really cool look, especially is your shreds are a contrasting color than the new soap. Some folks call it "confetti soap".

Add the shreds to the new soap at trace, just stir them in and pour. Gel as usual.

My favorite soap has a cleansing value of 67. :lol:

It's pure coconut oil, 20% superfat, and 50% salt by weight of oils. According to soapcalc it would practically scrub right through my skin, but soapcalc doesn't take into account the superfatting or additives when it comes up with it's numbers for the qualities. I was inspired to try the coconut bar because of a thread that's still roaming around here somewhere, and now I'm hooked.

So, I think your value of 24 may be very nice indeed. Soapcalc is a really great tool, but even in the short time I've been making soap I've noticed that sometimes the soap quality numbers it offers can be taken with a grain of salt once you keep in mind its limitations.

Don't pitch anything until you try it. and if it seems a little harsh wait another week before making that final determination.

Don't trust soap calculators to give you absolute soap qualities - they don't take into account either the superfat or your skin. At 8% I'd think that might be marvelous - maybe not a facial soap but certainly fine.

ETA: my one of favorite bars, and I DO use this on my old lady face, has a cleansing number of 50. And a superfat of 10.

Latest posts

Back