~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Fragrance Oils/Fragrance reviews > Favorite Sweet Cake Scents?

Old 12-07-2017, 03:42 PM   #11
Cellador

Liked 197 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie View Post
Is it a buttery bakery sort of vanilla or something like vanilla extract?
It's a little more like vanilla extract. Out of the bottle, it did not smell so great- kind of plastic-y. After a 4 week cure though, it smells nice, hasn't discolored, and is holding it's own in the blend (I blended with peppermint EO).

Millie Likes This 
Old 12-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #12
Cellador

Liked 197 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 840

Quote:
Thanks all! I was actually on the hunt for an Aveda type Sap Moss dupe. But there are so many other scents with intriguing descriptions to tempt me.

I hardly know where to begin with FOs. I just started branching out from EOs a few months ago, and after a rocky start, I'm totally hooked. I want to gather some random scents for a well-rounded selection, so I have something interesting for every nose. Something from every category, so fruity, spicy, earthy, salty, etc.
Millie, I am the same way- I just branched from EOs and was primarily looking for FOs that could replace more expensive EOs in blends. And...now I'm an addict.

The True Rose, Jasmine, Orange Blossom, & Sandalwood are pretty close dupes for their EO counterparts.

Millie Likes This 
Old 12-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #13
DeeAnna
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11365 Times on 5145 Posts
Likes Given: 5070

You might also check the Sweetcakes reviews here: https://goo.gl/HWMasd

Old 12-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #14
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4995 Times on 2905 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

Sage, Sweetgrass and Cedar is my very favorite, but with shipping I am looking at $67 per lb and simply refuse to pay that much, so I purchase a couple of bars from a vendor friend when we are at the same market.

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area

Old 12-08-2017, 02:42 AM   #15
Millie

Liked 498 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 2980

Thanks everyone!!
I'm thinking of adding the florals, brown sugar, sandalwood, ginger essence, mango tea, white vanilla, masculine musk and sage sweetgrass cedar.

Here are some other temptations. Has anyone tried these?
Apricot
Beeswax and Honey
Blackcurrant Rose
Cucumber
Egyptian Musk
Fresh Grass
Grapefruit Ginger
Hermes Eau des Merveille
Honeysuckle Hollow
Hotel Costes
Midnight in Tunisia
New Mown Hay
Oakmoss
Ocean Shoreline
Osmanthus
Precious Amber
Sea Spice
Summer Peach
Sweet Yellow Pear
Yuzu

Oh lordy.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:31 AM   #16
dibbles
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2329 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 2741

Quote:
Thanks everyone!!
I'm thinking of adding the florals, brown sugar, sandalwood, ginger essence, mango tea, white vanilla, masculine musk and sage sweetgrass cedar.

Here are some other temptations. Has anyone tried these?
Apricot
Beeswax and Honey
Blackcurrant Rose
Cucumber
Egyptian Musk
Fresh Grass
Grapefruit Ginger
Hermes Eau des Merveille
Honeysuckle Hollow
Hotel Costes
Midnight in Tunisia
New Mown Hay
Oakmoss
Ocean Shoreline
Osmanthus
Precious Amber
Sea Spice
Summer Peach
Sweet Yellow Pear
Yuzu

Oh lordy.
I'll give you my two cents on the ones I've used. But remember this is my likes and dislikes, so take it for what it's worth. Sweet Yellow Pear is indeed just that. Pear for sure, but it was waaay too sweet for me. More like an over ripe pear, and I was wanting something more crisp. I didn't like Osmanthus at all. Grapefruit Ginger is nice, and even though I love ginger I think I preferred a straight up grapefruit. Others liked it better than plain grapefruit though. Cucumber is a good, clean cucumber. I blended it with SC Green Tea (which I also like and blend with Ginger Essence). I haven't tried Ocean Shoreline, but Karen's Ocean Rain was really nice. I only used it when I was doing M&P, and I think I remember reading that it really accelerates in CP - as do many ocean/rain fragrances. If you like to blend scents, Heather is a good blender. It is strong, so doesn't take much, but is a very fresh, airy kind of floral scent. I would use it to brighten up a heavy, perfumey fragrance. All I remember about Egyptian Musk is that it was very strong. I think it was fine, but I didn't ever order more.
Millie Likes This 
Old 12-08-2017, 05:29 AM   #17
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 855 Times on 564 Posts
Likes Given: 3403

Quote:
I was actually on the hunt for an Aveda type Sap Moss dupe.
I second Ginger Essence and True Rose.
You might like their Rosemary Mint EO blend. Years ago they had a few EO blends -- I tried them all and one called Bladderwrack was awesome. However, it's gone. I liked them all but stopped using them due to shipping cost.
There are others... will have to jiggle my memory...

Millie Likes This