~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Beginners Soap Making Forum > Soap Testing Documents

Old 12-06-2017, 11:59 PM   #1
gilmoursmith

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Soap Testing Documents

Hi All,

I'm not exactly new to soapmaking, I've done a bit in the bast as a hobby. But I've decided I want to try and make soap to sell and my question to everyone is; does anyone know of somewhere that has documents for testing soap? I've seen them done for candles where you have a list of everything you do when making the candle and steps to take when testing. And I was wondering if there was such a thing for soap??

Thanks!
Sally

Old 12-07-2017, 12:03 AM   #2
Kamahido
Paladin of Soap

Liked 435 Times on 236 Posts

What country do you live in?

Old 12-07-2017, 12:52 AM   #3
gilmoursmith

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I currently live in the USA.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:43 AM   #4
jcandleattic

Liked 649 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I have one I made up myself. It has the recipe used in %, size of batch, any additives and amounts, lye concentration used, liquid used, superfat, colorants, scent, design, etc. Then I write down temps soaped at, and everything that happened while mixing my batter - acceleration, deceleration, ricing, seizing, etc., I also write down which mold I used, whether the soap gelled or not, over heated, etc. whatever happened to it in the mold. Then I write how long it stayed in the mold, what it felt like unmolding (if it was sticky, soft, just right, etc.) Once cut I give first impressions of the scent, and weigh each bar. Then I do incremental notes throughout the cure, including weights, color fading/morphing, scent fading/morphing etc.
Oh and I usually take a pic of the soap right after the cut. That helps me know if the colors have faded or if it's just my imagination.
People Like This 
Old 12-07-2017, 03:13 AM   #5
Kamahido
Paladin of Soap

Liked 435 Times on 236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcandleattic View Post
I have one I made up myself. It has the recipe used in %, size of batch, any additives and amounts, lye concentration used, liquid used, superfat, colorants, scent, design, etc. Then I write down temps soaped at, and everything that happened while mixing my batter - acceleration, deceleration, ricing, seizing, etc., I also write down which mold I used, whether the soap gelled or not, over heated, etc. whatever happened to it in the mold. Then I write how long it stayed in the mold, what it felt like unmolding (if it was sticky, soft, just right, etc.) Once cut I give first impressions of the scent, and weigh each bar. Then I do incremental notes throughout the cure, including weights, color fading/morphing, scent fading/morphing etc.
Oh and I usually take a pic of the soap right after the cut. That helps me know if the colors have faded or if it's just my imagination.
Silly me! I was thinking she was talking about the testing required by law in some countries.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:45 AM   #6
gilmoursmith

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcandleattic View Post
That sounds like exactly what I've been wanting. I didn't particularly want to create my own document but with everything you just listed, I'm sure I'll be able to come up with something that I can print and keep in my soaping planner.