~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Melt & Pour Forum > Rash after using M&P

Old 12-05-2017, 03:34 AM   #11
Flutter

Liked 28 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 31

The rash got really bad; blistering hives and peeling ... I had to get some steroids from the Dr and it is still not all gone.

I got a sulfate free M&P from Amazon (Pifito Premium was the brand) that doesn't seem to bother me.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:17 AM   #12
Kittish
Enthusiastic Newbie
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1206 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 736

There's a made from scratch MP recipe on here that I've made. I'm going to keep playing with it and see what I come up with. I don't care particularly if it turns out actually clear. Link: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=31220
You should be able to substitute grain alcohol (vodka, everclear, etc) for the propylene glycol if you don't want to use that. I made it with cocoa butter in place of the palm oil, and it turned out nice. I'm almost out of the batch, so it's time to make another one.

Flutter Likes This 
Old 12-05-2017, 07:09 AM   #13
SunRiseArts
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 902 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
The rash got really bad; blistering hives and peeling ... I had to get some steroids from the Dr and it is still not all gone.

I got a sulfate free M&P from Amazon (Pifito Premium was the brand) that doesn't seem to bother me.

I have use in a pinch the soap expressions brand with no problems. There are better bases out there. I personally do not like Stephenson, because they are a total nightmare to melt and design. They also get week in the shower with the hot water when the bar becomes small.

The base you got has SLS. I know that a lot of people has a reaction to it. SLS is thick and coarse when you buy it, and is not a natural element.

I like nature's garden soap bases. They are sls free, and behave well when you work with them.

Last edited by SunRiseArts; 12-05-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Flutter Likes This 
Old 12-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #14
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4995 Times on 2905 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutter View Post
As for the additives I used; it was tea tree and lavender EO, a little tamanu oil and the charcoal powder.

I have no soy allergies.

The brand I got was Soap Expressions. Here are the ingredients: Glycerin, Prop. Glycol, Coconut Oil, Triethanolamine, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Laureth, Sodium Stearate, Titainium Dioxide, Shea Butter, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Water.

So I really don't know what it is that got to me, but I am not going to use anything from this base on myself anymore.
Have you done a patch test to see if it is the Tamanu? I know I made a facial lotion a while back and it sent me to emergency with a severe allergic reaction, the only new ingredient was the Evening Primrose Oil. So you really need to try to narrow down the allergen in order to try avoiding it next time.

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area
People Like This 
Old 12-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #15
Flutter

Liked 28 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmzaha View Post
Have you done a patch test to see if it is the Tamanu? I know I made a facial lotion a while back and it sent me to emergency with a severe allergic reaction, the only new ingredient was the Evening Primrose Oil. So you really need to try to narrow down the allergen in order to try avoiding it next time.
I have been wondering if it was something other than the sodium laurel sulphate since I've noticed it in other things I've used for years with no problems

This was the first time I used a soap with Tamanu oil, but there wasn't very much in it, plus I've put it directly on my face before and it's in my foot lotion and face wash too.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:02 AM   #16
SunRiseArts
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 902 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 951

Very interesting how that can happen. My husband used to love grape jelly, one day he ate some at a restaurant, and he also ended in the emergency room, almost killed him. Since then he was never able to eat it again.

So it could even be something your skin was ok before with. And then all of a sudden become allergic to it.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:25 AM   #17
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4995 Times on 2905 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunRiseArts View Post
Very interesting how that can happen. My husband used to love grape jelly, one day he ate some at a restaurant, and he also ended in the emergency room, almost killed him. Since then he was never able to eat it again.

So it could even be something your skin was ok before with. And then all of a sudden become allergic to it.
Yep allergies can certainly work that way. I was able to take Penicillin all my life and then 1 pill after dental surgery sent me to emergency

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area