My first batch 32% Shea and Organic African Black Soap Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ida72

Reaction score
Hi! I am so excited but made my first batch of hot process Shea butter, African black soap and coconut oil bar. I added olive oil last and lavender essential oil. It looks “homely”, but I am proud of these babies . They are about 78-82 grams each.

797A8C0F-A956-4406-BA5A-C2E512A4223F.jpg

F3403C52-07E1-4F9C-BAB4-8AD0E9C69A79.jpg

EBFF1BB2-D56B-4860-AEFD-ACB3A284D549.jpg

Last edited:
woohoo! Looks creamy! Did you made it using ash lye solution? ;)

Thanks Cherrycoke,

16% of the soap was crumbled raw, organic African blacksoap. I added this to Shea butter soap which I made with sodium hydrochloride. It’s very creamy (the scraps that I used to wash my hands were really nice). Will keep working on this recipe though. It was hard and difficult to mould. Wonder if adding goat’s yogurt at the end would help?

sodium hydrochloride?

Thanks Cherrycoke,

16% of the soap was crumbled raw, organic African blacksoap. I added this to Shea butter soap which I made with sodium hydrochloride. It’s very creamy (the scraps that I used to wash my hands were really nice). Will keep working on this recipe though. It was hard and difficult to mould. Wonder if adding goat’s yogurt at the end would help?

Hi Ida, I am not familiar with using sodium hydrochloride to make soap. Is that household bleach?

Or do you mean sodium hydroxide, which is the lye used to make hard (bar) soap?

Understanding this is the first step to helping you troubleshoot your problem.

Oh my goodness, I meant sodium hydroxide. I can be such a doofus at times! Sorry. Yes, it’s plain old lye that I am using but where I am, we only have it in pellet form.

Latest posts

Back