Jojoba vs Lanolin

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy2428

Reaction score
I've gotten very cheap lately :oops: so I thought I'd ask before the experiment. I love lanolin in my cp soap. I formulate towards more fragile, elderly skin and love the protective layer it gives.

However, in trying to find the ultimate elusive vegan recipe, I thought I'd try jojoba as a substitute. The fatty acid profiles are similar, so I'm wondering if it will provide the same result.

I'm currently happy with 5% lanolin and thought I would try 8% jojoba. Any advice?

"...I've gotten very cheap lately..."

You can find jojoba cheaper than lanolin? Wowser! I agree that jojoba is vegan and lanolin is not, but my pocketbook definitely prefers lanolin for soap. I use my nice jojoba in my lotions and lip balms. :)

The difference between the two, IMO, is less about the saponifiable fatty acids and more about the high unsaponifiable content in these two waxes. I have not used jojoba in soap -- too expensive -- but I have used lanolin. Lanolin leaves a faint waxy film on the skin at 5% in shave soap, but I haven't noticed any residue on the skin from using bath soap with 3% lanolin.

My guess is jojoba would leave a less obvious film on the skin due to its liquid nature, but I haven't tried it to know that for sure.

Give it a whirl and see what you think. I'd enjoy learning what you find out.

...in trying to find the ultimate elusive vegan recipe, I thought I'd try jojoba as a substitute. The fatty acid profiles are similar, so I'm wondering if it will provide the same result. I'm currently happy with 5% lanolin and thought I would try 8% jojoba. Any advice?
I think it's worth a try. I sub jojoba for lanolin in liquid soap at 1-2%. But, for CP, take a look at the difference in iodine values and INS values. Left column - jojoba; Right column - lanolin
Jojoba vs lanolin.png
I like lanolin's values for iodine and INS. For CP, I like to keep my iodine value below 50, altho 70 is okay for some soapers. I would go with less jojoba than you would use lanolin and maybe add a bit of orange peel wax, sunflower wax, carnauba wax, or candelilia wax to tweak the formula close to the lanolin numbers.

HTH :bunny:

ETA: This has been discussed before. Here's a link to a thread on the same subject:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=54026

Last edited:
Ooh I like a little orange peel wax, and I think it is similar in composition to lanolin. Gives the lather some robust, richly lathering depth, and feels nice and creamy at the same time. It only takes a smidge to make a difference. Sells for $2.80/lb or less at NDA.

P.s. for Kittish:
Hope I didn't lead you astray with this one. In a different thread I mentioned that although the batter moved fast it remained workable for my high orange wax soap (4%) - failed to remember or mention that it stayed workable while gelling right before my eyes! I also think the smell is nice in small amounts, but at 4% it leaves a slightly strange (lanolin-ish scent? something animalic) on my skin. What has your experience been?

Ooh I like a little orange peel wax, and I think it is similar in composition to lanolin. Gives the lather some robust, richly lathering depth, and feels nice and creamy at the same time. It only takes a smidge to make a difference. Sells for $2.80/lb or less at NDA.

P.s. for Kittish:
Hope I didn't lead you astray with this one. In a different thread I mentioned that although the batter moved fast it remained workable for my high orange wax soap (4%) - failed to remember or mention that it stayed workable while gelling right before my eyes! I also think the smell is nice in small amounts, but at 4% it leaves a slightly strange (lanolin-ish scent? something animalic) on my skin. What has your experience been?

I haven't tried my orange peel wax soaps yet. They've been curing for about 4 weeks, so it's almost time to pull one down and give it a go.

Let us know how they turn out :)

I will. When it's been a full 4 weeks, I'll put one of the little orange sherbets on my testing row behind the kitchen sink. I've got six soap dishes lined up, and 8 or 9 soaps on there now that I'm using in turn. I wash my hands 8 or 10 times a day at a minimum, so they're all getting used regularly.

I've gotten very cheap lately :oops: so I thought I'd ask before the experiment. I love lanolin in my cp soap. I formulate towards more fragile, elderly skin and love the protective layer it gives.

However, in trying to find the ultimate elusive vegan recipe, I thought I'd try jojoba as a substitute. The fatty acid profiles are similar, so I'm wondering if it will provide the same result.

I'm currently happy with 5% lanolin and thought I would try 8% jojoba. Any advice?

Oh you're not being "cheap"; you're being "financially discerning"! :)

DeeAnna I am sorry for the confusion. I meant to say that lanolin was much less expensive than jojoba. Thanks much for your help. If the orange peel wax works this will solve a 2 year puzzle for me.

This thread got me thinking about my orange wax experiment so I decided to jump the gun a couple of days and try one out. Nice soap. Leaves my hands feeling smooth, but there's no waxy or greasy feel. Lathers up ok, but not great. It's only four weeks old, though. The orange smell is persisting pretty strongly, and there is a light residual fragrance that stays on my hands for a few minutes after washing. This is the first soap I've made using citrus anything that still had a strong fragrance after even a month. I used 5% orange peel wax.

I haven't tried lanolin yet, so I can't directly compare the two.

That’s exciting that the citrus comes through. I use lanolin at 5% and yes it does make more of a creamier bar, but I up my castor to 9% and I get acceptable bubbles. The lanolin leaves a nice barrier on the skin- it actually beads the water on top. My recipe is a total pain though- I use a 50/50 coco milk/water mix and even frozen it’s emulsion to thick trace. Oh well, I’m happy with the soap so it’s an acceptable trade off.

Soaper’s Choice carries lanolin wax and liquid. The thick wax is cheaper but it’s like using petroleum jelly and a pain to handle. The liquid is thick but pourable.

I use a 50/50 coco milk/water mix and even frozen it’s emulsion to thick trace.
TIP: The next time that happens, try leaving your spoon in the batter and walk away for 5 minutes or so. When you come back, the batch should be going into gel and it's easy then to give it a quick stir and pour (or plop. LOL).

Thanks Zany I will give it a try. I gotten to the point of 1 color soaps

I received my orange peel wax yesterday- it smells wonderful! I have to figure out what the dark color is going to do, but I love it. Thank you all for your suggestions. Will post pictures after I can make the soap.

I received my orange peel wax yesterday- it smells wonderful! I have to figure out what the dark color is going to do, but I love it. Thank you all for your suggestions. Will post pictures after I can make the soap.

It's orange. Bit of a surprise, it looks green in the bottle. Not super dark, you can cover it with darker colors, but white is going to be pretty much a non-option for your soap color.

Back