ISO vanilla....never thought I'd say that...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NsMar42111

Reaction score
I am NOT a fan of vanilla for the past 10 years due to a bad experience with vanilla flavored medicine (blech) but I am getting multiple requests for vanilla soap. Even after explaining it'd be a brown soap, they still want it. Normally I'd go order several versions and do a bunch of testing but I don't think my stomach could handle that....tried a search here but wow the word vanilla is used a lot.

Any suggestions for a "normal" smelling vanilla? I believe they are after the sweet vanilla like you get in the big smelly bath stores. I normally use Fragrance Buddy, Rustic Escentuals, Brambleberry for FO's but am open to almost anyone....

I am NOT a fan of vanilla for the past 10 years due to a bad experience with vanilla flavored medicine (blech) but I am getting multiple requests for vanilla soap. Even after explaining it'd be a brown soap, they still want it. Normally I'd go order several versions and do a bunch of testing but I don't think my stomach could handle that....tried a search here but wow the word vanilla is used a lot.

Any suggestions for a "normal" smelling vanilla? I believe they are after the sweet vanilla like you get in the big smelly bath stores. I normally use Fragrance Buddy, Rustic Escentuals, Brambleberry for FO's but am open to almost anyone....
oh oh I saw this a couple of days ago. I have not used it myself, but sounds like a good alternative., although the review for CP are not good. Maybe it can be dissolve in water instead? Have it reduced from your lye water? I have never done that, but I think I read others doing it.

https://www.naturesgardencandles.com/vanilla-powder.html

Not sure if would make the soap brown too.

Last edited:
oh oh I saw this a couple of days ago. I have not used it myself, but sounds like a good alternative., although the review for CP are not good. Maybe it can be dissolve in water instead? Have it reduced from your lye water? I have never done that, but I think I read others doing it.

https://www.naturesgardencandles.com/vanilla-powder.html

Not sure if would make the soap brown too.

I really have to question their vanilla powder. They claim it's dried and ground vanilla oleoresin, and that I call BS on. IF you can find it available anywhere, vanilla oleoresin runs hundreds of dollars an ounce.

I found vanillin crystals at one place, I'm still working out the best way to use those (vanillin is pretty easy to derive from several sources, and can be straight up synthesized as well). The fragrance I got from my test batch with them isn't strong, but it's very persistant and pervasive. Turned my soap almost black, though. The price for NG's "vanilla powder" is pretty much in line with what I paid for my vanillin, and the description of its physical appearance makes me wonder if NG isn't actually selling vanillin as vanilla powder. Actual vanilla oleoresin should no way yield a white powder when it's dried and ground.

I am NOT a fan of vanilla ... (blech) but I am getting multiple requests for vanilla soap...

LOL, that always seems to be the way. I can't help you with a scent as I too don't care for the smell of vanilla unless it's in ice cream. For me the most awful scent is coconut. Don't like to eat it and the smell reminds me of the '70s when everyone was using coconut scented oil every summer.

I received a coconut cybilla sample, and since it couldn't go to waste :rolleyes: I made some cocoa-coconut soap and gave it to friends & family. Everyone loved it and it's become a crowd favorite - Ugh! When I make those batches it's first thing in the morning followed by strong scented batches of fragrances that don't make me gag-spruce and lemongrass are good at chasing the smell away.

Sorry for your nose. :cry:

You guys rock!

IrishLass, did not think to say "best" vanilla...just did vanilla LOL. Thanks for the hint! Never paid any attention to vanilla threads before :bunny:

Eh, I'd be suspect about powder...I'll stick with FO and just deal with the brown since apparently I'm the only one that cares if its brown! Interesting concept though....

I actually have saved carts at both WSP and Nature's Garden so those two might be the winners...Two I should be able to handle.. I think :)

I did a vanilla testing experiment and both the WSP Vanilla Bean Noel and NG Vanilla Bean made it to my top three.

The only other one I recommend for blending is WSP’s Deluxe Vanilla. On its own it’s missing something but blended it hits the vanilla notes well.

Back