What would you say is cheaper overall? CP or M&P?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M&P is cheaper.. your working with a base.. whereas with CP you work with many different oils to get the right feeling your looking for.
And the addition of fragrance, color.. it can add up. Unless you purchase in bulk

I would guess MP but with CP you have more control over your ingredients. CP IMO is more like actually soapmakin but with MP you can get more creative than with CP. There are some really nice bases out there and I've seen some really beautiful MP soaps. I however prefer the more hands on aspect of CP soap and love a rustic look to my soaps.

I admit, I'm biased! I started my soapmaking adventure after joining a few forums, spending literaly 100's of hours online inundating my mind on how to effectively produce a nice CP soap. After more than 2 years into this adventure, I feel that I have a really great recipe. It has taken me probably 30 recipes testing, tweaking, trying different oils trying to extract their synergy. I must agree, even though I have never melted a single pound of M&P base, I'm sure it is the least expensive of the two.
I for one, love the creativity factor involved in CP soapmaking. Like I said, I fairly biased. :lol:

Paul.... :wink:

M&P is cheap.

If you buy in bulk (24# BLOCKS) The base costs about $1.30 a pound, add another .70cents per # for shipping, that is $2.00 a pound.

Add a tablespon of fragrance (you need way more fragrance for CP cause a lot of it burms up so to speak from the lye.... or somthin' like that) which is about .30 cents, so that is $2.30 to make a pound of soap.

Divided the pound into (4) bars weighing 4oz ea, that is a cost of .57cents each.

Add a penny for a drop or 2 food coloring, maybe a nickle for a pinch of poppy seeds, etc, it's still very inexpensive.

You need to factor in the cost of your overhead, molds, bowls, scales, etc.

Don't forget packageing like cello bags, ink, labels & ribbon too.

You should factor in your time as well.

TAB YOU ARE AWESOME! I love it! You are so on it!...
And yes, I have spent thousands lol over the years on soapmaking lol ..

Tabitha said:
M&P is cheap.

If you buy in bulk (24# BLOCKS) The base costs about $1.30 a pound, add another .70cents per # for shipping, that is $2.00 a pound.

Add a tablespon of fragrance (you need way more fragrance for CP cause a lot of it burms up so to speak from the lye.... or somthin' like that) which is about .30 cents, so that is $2.30 to make a pound of soap.

Divided the pound into (4) bars weighing 4oz ea, that is a cost of .57cents each.

Add a penny for a drop or 2 food coloring, maybe a nickle for a pinch of poppy seeds, etc, it's still very inexpensive.

You need to factor in the cost of your overhead, molds, bowls, scales, etc.

Don't forget packageing like cello bags, ink, labels & ribbon too.

You should factor in your time as well.

Tabitha, that is the best cost break down I've ever seen. Thanks so much!!! only one day on this board, and you're the one I keep reading LOL!

BTW, awesome question. I am/was exclusively a lipbalm maker. Then started toying around with lotion. now I'm thinking of M&P (after saying I would NEVER do soap.) Help me. I have a problem...

Lizzy, I have had that problem for 6 years, lol! My line will get bigger, bigger, bigger then I will force myself to stream line it which will go well for about 3-6 months then I will add items, add items, add items until it is ridiculously out of control so them I will streamline it again & so on & so forth!

I had my line pretty streamlined for the past year just sticking to my most popular 8 items w/ the occasional holiday specialty, but always in the back of my head, the little voices are saying "... cupcake bath bombs... bubble bars... glitter lotion.... kid's line.... men's line....edible products... pet products.... shower favors...mineral make-up!"

Uuuugh, it's just too easy to spend all of your profits testing new recipes/products/packaging! It is a vicious circle!

Tabitha said:
Lizzy, I have had that problem for 6 years, lol! My line will get bigger, bigger, bigger then I will force myself to stream line it which will go well for about 3-6 months then I will add items, add items, add items until it is ridiculously out of control so them I will streamline it again & so on & so forth!

I had my line pretty streamlined for the past year just sticking to my most popular 8 items w/ the occasional holiday specialty, but always in the back of my head, the little voices are saying "... cupcake bath bombs... bubble bars... glitter lotion.... kid's line.... men's line....edible products... pet products.... shower favors...mineral make-up!"

Uuuugh, it's just too easy to spend all of your profits testing new recipes/products/packaging! It is a vicious circle!

LMAO Tab! I bought a couple molds and M&P goats milk today. I broke. I just couldn't hold out any longer. What pushed me over is wanting to make something for DH, I figure I owe him for all the conversations/monologues he has to listen to on my products! He's not a lipbalm guy, and doesn't use lotion, so when I asked him if he'd like a nice masculine smelling soap, and he said definitely, the money was already flying out of my pocket! God help me.

:lol: Lizzy,
have fun creating your first soaps! Beware, it's really addictive! :wink:
My Hubby started asking me to make him a soap on a rope with a nice maskuline scent. Now the Jello pudding mold with Frankincense and Myrrh (he requested it :roll: -it smells actually quite nice) is in the freezer and will be ready to get out; we'll see how he likes it! :p

Back