Syndet Shampoo Bar Recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello! Does this topic still continue??? I made a few batch of shampoo syndet bar, quite good but I'm Vietnamese and the weather in Vietnam is so hot, usually about35- 40°C in summer. So, I have some questions:
- Does someone try to make shampoo bar with all solid surfactant, replace liquid surfactant into powder surfactant??? In Vietnam, weather is too hot and I think add too much liquid can make bar "smush". But I don't see any recipe write about that
- Percent of essential oil in syndet bar, because I added 2% in my recipe and 2 weeks after it doesn't smell anything. Frangance oil vs EO have different percent ????
I attach my recent batch and hope to see your review

P_20170916_192248.jpg

Last edited:
Hello! Does this topic still continue??? I made a few batch of shampoo syndet bar, quite good but I'm Vietnamese and the weather in Vietnam is so hot, usually about35- 40°C in summer. So, I have some questions:
- Does someone try to make shampoo bar with all solid surfactant, replace liquid surfactant into powder surfactant??? In Vietnam, weather is too hot and I think add too much liquid can make bar "smush". But I don't see any recipe write about that
- Percent of essential oil in syndet bar, because I added 2% in my recipe and 2 weeks after it doesn't smell anything. Frangance oil vs EO have different percent ????
I attach my recent batch and hope to see your review
I have the same problem even in California US with most of the recipes on Swiftcraftymonkey getting to smushy and soft. I upped my hard butter, I use kokum or illipe, my hard emusifier etc. Anything to make them harder. LOL, I overdid last time and now they are a bit to hard but last forever! I do still use liquids but less than I was using. Sorry I cannot help you out on the percentages as I have 3 long pages of tweaks to get together in order to duplicate my final bars :headbanging:

Ponte Vedra Soap Shoppe makes a syndet shampoo bar that is mixed up with only a small amount of liquid. The method seems more like how bath bombs are made. I have not tried this recipe, so I cannot vouch for how good it is, but PV is a reputable B&B maker from what I can tell.

Here's an SMF thread with photos and a link to the Ponte Vedra recipe: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=61716

Thanks so much. I think I use same way with PV but I melt every thing, except EO, into sth like puree but thicker, wait cool, add EO and "glop" in mould. I used moon cake mould, which have a plate with pattern and use your arm to press it very hard. The result is quite good, like a little moon cake and I think it is harder and smoother than put in silicon mould and press by fingers. I
I read some threads about fixed, like kaolin clay, to keep frangance longer, but they are for CP soap. Anyone try ???

My order for SLSA was cancelled and I forgot that when I started making a solid shampoo bar. I used SCI as a replacement and my family loves the shampoo bar. I need to learn how to press it to make it smoother for appearance but it works wonderfully!

Here is a youtube video out of Australia that might help.

Attachments

• DSCN6805.JPG
    DSCN6805.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 47
Last edited by a moderator:
My syndet bars do get smushy. I've tried adding stearic acid, tried adding sodium lactate. Still haven't found the perfect recipe yet. All of mine leave a bit of crunchiness or some sort of deposit on my hair that I don't like.

Most recent bar:
Total (g) 180
(grams)
37.5% SCI 67.5g
20% CB 36g
25% SLSA 45g
3.5% Cetaryl Alcohol 6.3g
7% BTMS-50 12.6g
2% Stearic acid 3.6g
2% Coconut oil 3.6g
2% Fragrance 3.6g
1% panthenol 1.8g

Does anyone have any ideas for improvement?

This is a recipe I had shared with me, its pretty decent. It does get a bit soft but it doesn't leave a residue in my hair.

Heated powder ingredients- add colorant here if using, micas work great.
SCI 32%
cetyl alcohol 5%
BTMS25 7%
Incroquat CR 5%
Shea butter (any butter will work) 5%
SLSa 28%

Liquid heated ingredients (mix with powders)
Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate 6%
Cocamidopropyl Betaine 6%

Cool down phase
Silk amino acids 1%
Panthenol 1%
Dimethicone 1%
Cyclomethicone 1%
CTAC 1%
Preservative 1%
Fragrance 1-3%

melt heated phase at 30 second bursts in microwave. Make sure not to burn or overheat, it will puff up and come out of your bowl if you do. Will resemble applesauce when melted.
Cool down to the appropriate temps for your preservative. Add preservative and fragrance, mix well and quickly pour into molds.

Can someone post a syndet shampoo bar recipe here? I went to SwiftMonkey's site and cannot seem to follow her directions. She assumes some knowledge that I don't have and then I have to do a lot of searching on her site to find it. Or she'll say something like, "you can use either U^%88755ZZX or increase the amount of CXXZZ@#$332 if you want." (I made up those ingredients, but that's what they look like to me). How would I know what I want? Anyway, I posted this question on another soapmaking forum and got chewed up and spit out for being too "lazy" to do more of my own research.

I've made conditioner using behentrimonium and cetyl alcohol (from lotioncrafter.com), so I'm not afraid of chemicals.

So anyway, I would love to see a straight-forward recipe for a syndet shampoo bar or a link to a site where I can find one.

Thanks!
Jill
Thanks for that Jill..it would be great to find a combination of surfactants that are mild enough to do the job. I am trying to make a shampoo bar using mild surfactants, herb powders and a little oil but not much luck so far.
Anne

Just read the other threads. Thanks all for sharing. I am using DSL powder, (disodium lauryl sulfosuccinate) Aritha and shikaki powders, still experimenting as last one made my scalp itchy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anne, not sure if you are waiting for a reply from Jill, just letting you know that she hasn't been here in 4 months.

...I am trying to make a shampoo bar using mild surfactants, herb powders and a little oil but not much luck so far....

What ingredients are binding the ingredients of your bar together and also reducing the solubility? The oil and powders aren't going to do that, so I'm a little puzzled. Most recipes use a thickener and an emulsifier to accomplish these goals.

What ingredients are binding the ingredients of your bar together and also reducing the solubility? The oil and powders aren't going to do that, so I'm a little puzzled. Most recipes use a thickener and an emulsifier to accomplish these goals.
Oh yes I used Stearic acid and BTMS25. I'm using powdered Disodium Lauryl sulfosuccinate as the only surfacant.

@Kates1117 -- we're talking about bars made with synthetic detergents. You're talking about using melt and pour soap with added fat and fragrance. The two don't really have a common ground.

A suggestion -- Why don't you start your own thread in the Melt and Pour forum and copy and paste your post above?

Starting a new thread is easy -- go to the M&P forum https://www.soapmakingforum.com/forums/melt-pour-forum.38/ and look for Post New Thread button in the upper right area of the screen. Click on that and write your post.

If you do this, more people will see it who are familiar with melt and pour soap -- you are likely to get better answers and more ideas that way.

My syndet bars do get smushy. I've tried adding stearic acid, tried adding sodium lactate. Still haven't found the perfect recipe yet. All of mine leave a bit of crunchiness or some sort of deposit on my hair that I don't like.

Most recent bar:
Total (g) 180
(grams)
37.5% SCI 67.5g
20% CB 36g
25% SLSA 45g
3.5% Cetaryl Alcohol 6.3g
7% BTMS-50 12.6g
2% Stearic acid 3.6g
2% Coconut oil 3.6g
2% Fragrance 3.6g
1% panthenol 1.8g

Does anyone have any ideas for improvement?
I have found in the few batches of syndent shampoo that I've made, that the SLSa leaves a dusty feel on my hair and I find the urge to wash it sooner than a bar without .... I've substituted SLS NOODLES for the SLSa ... increasing my SCI powder though and making up the difference with the noodles as the SLS noodles are a bit high in their Ph level .... my Ph level is now at 6.8 ....

Back