Favorite wooden log mold design

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskachick

Reaction score
My husband has offered to build me a wooden log mold. I've seen a few different designs on the internet, but I'd like to get opinions from others who have a preference - possibly trough trial and error. I usually make 3-5 lb batches. Pictures are much appreciated!

Mine are like the ones on Brambleberry's website. I order their 5 lb silicone liner and had my husband make the molds they would fit in he made them with a slid out bottom and I just love them.

Here is mine -

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=40454&highlight=wooden+mold&page=2

There is a stickied thread for working out how big your mold needs to be for certain batches (L x W x H x 0.4 = OIL weight) so think about how big you want your bars to be and then make it accordingly. So if you want 2" high by 3" wide bars, you can work out the length by reversing it - weight of oils / 0.4 / 2 (height) / 3 (width) = length of mold space.

In my design, the lighter coloured end pulls out and there is a gap between the two edges and the little bit sticking up. I take my soap out (lift it out by the liner) and take the liner off, put it back in the mold, slide it so the soap is pressing up against the little bit of wood and cut down the sides as a guide. Same size, straight edges and no time at all.

I am also using the Bramble Berry Liner and I love the way my logs turn out. In my area finding freezer paper was difficult, and this saves having to line a mold. They have two options that fit this liner so your husband can take a look at both. They also make a 2 pound liner, but that might be too small.

I like mine because you just pull the bottom out and unmold then slide it back in. Nothing to unscrew or really put back together. My husband made me two when I first started soaping that had screws and I disliked having to dismantleing and putting back together.

I agree with Seven 100%! The adjustable mold that was linked to is the best mold I have ever had. The one shown is very small intentionally, so I can make very small and tall batches, but you can make the mold any size you want. The ends can be moved in or out, the bottom can be moved up or down and if you also make some extra ends and a bottom that are wider,you can reuse the same sides and screws for making wider soaps as well! It really is an all-in-one design. I have a couple of molds made after that design and I absolutely adore them. :D

(If you make a larger or longer mold, you'll want to put two or more screws through the bottom of the side pieces for some added support. For the tiny mold above, one in the middle was enough.)

Last edited:
This is the design that I made for my use. It is a very simple design but very versatile. I drill the 2 holes for the bottom bolts through the sides and bottom then the upper bolts on each end are drilled just through the sides. The end pieces are then cut and can be placed anywhere. I can bring the ends in close for a 4" sample pour or put them at their farthest setting for a 19" loaf. Or another option as you can see in the second picture, I have extra end pieces that I can insert into the mold and pour multiple tests in the same mold. I use freezer paper to line my molds. When I remove the loaf I seldom if ever have to loosen the sides. I simply remove my tape, grab hold of the ends of the paper and it lifts right out.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B%3A24%3Dot%3E2477%3D565%3D377%3DXROQDF%3E2599243629256ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv5375%3Dot%3E2477%3D565%3D377%3DXROQDF%3E25%3A35%3A989%3C256ot1lsi

Last edited:
There was a post with a really good home made one (mine is just cobbled together, I'll be honest!) and it had all sorts of things going on with it, really well thought out and put together. Hope the user finds this thread and links to it, because I can't find it :(

Wood Molds

I line my molds with freezer paper - just takes a few minutes. None of my wood molds have hinges or screws and I've never had difficulty removing my soap.

Latest posts

Back