Matching color to fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Help! I am "fragrancially challenged." I sort of get the obvious choices:
yellow = lemon
green = apple, lime, spearmint
dark blue = peppermint
lavender = well, lavender and other florals
orange = orange
but purple? What goes with purple?

I guess I am asking for your favorite color/fragrance combos and to know which fragrances "play well" together? If that's too obvious a question, just consider this your eye roll moment for the day.

Purple = black raspberry, violet, lilac, grape

Nature's Garden Candles has some of their fo's split up into color categories http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/candlemaking-soap-supplies/category/903987 That might help give you ideas.

And on knowing what fragrances "play well" together, that's mostly experimenting. Take a q tip, dip it in an fo, dip the other end in another fo. Put them in a plastic baggy. Label what scents you used. Close it up, leave it for a day or so & then come back and sniff it.

Think outside the crayon box, man! (insert eye roll here --> :roll:) :lol:
I like to think of purple as a "mysterious" color, hence "mysterious" type scents...think Patchouli, Sandalwood, Anise, Clove, Vetiver...or if you use FO's, something like Nag Champa. Ooh, I do like a good mystery...

Just some suggestions:
Citrus-Spicy-Wood scents go good with "warm" colors: orange, yellow, gold, red, brown
Mints and Earthy/Herbal scents go good with "cool" colors: blue, green, purple, grey, silver
(Minty, Woody, or Spicy could go with black, also)
Florals could go either way depending on the type of flower (ie: "meadow flowers" =cool, "tropical flowers" = warm)

Once again (I think I say this once a day)...it's all about personal preference, like so much of soap making...besides needing a fatty acid and alkali, everything else is personal preference. Someone else may read my suggestions and think I'm koo-koo. I am, by the way, but that doesn't mean I'm "fragrantically challenged". :crazy:

Purple = black raspberry, violet, lilac, grape

Nature's Garden Candles has some of their fo's split up into color categories http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/candlemaking-soap-supplies/category/903987 That might help give you ideas.

And on knowing what fragrances "play well" together, that's mostly experimenting. Take a q tip, dip it in an fo, dip the other end in another fo. Put them in a plastic baggy. Label what scents you used. Close it up, leave it for a day or so & then come back and sniff it.

Seriously great suggestions. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back