can this be fixed?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beverlyl

Reaction score
recipe was
16 oz co
4 oz oo
48 oz veg o
29 oz water
9 oz lye

what i did was
16 oz co
4 oz oo
48 oz crisco
29 oz water
9 oz lye

It never set up just stayed a clear jelly like substance. Is there a way to fix?? thanks

That's a lot of water. SoapCalc says 25.8 oz at 38%. How wet is it? Just soft, or not set at all?

I ran it thru with both old and new Crisco and your lye looks OK.

looks like you are going to have to let that sit for a very long time to let the water evaporate out. or throw the whole thing in a crockpot and cook some of the water out.
if it was me, i'd leave it in a corner of a cupboard for a few months... then you can have a nice surprise when you find it again.

krissy said:
looks like you are going to have to let that sit for a very long time to let the water evaporate out. or throw the whole thing in a crockpot and cook some of the water out.
if it was me, i'd leave it in a corner of a cupboard for a few months... then you can have a nice surprise when you find it again.

ditto

Well, it's just under 24% lye solution. which is not TERRIBLE but it is a little dilute.

you have a 10% lye discount which is fine.

did it separate? do you see a layer of liquid on top?

did your soap gel?

It is about 3 weeks old and was still just like jelly, without the lumps. I stuck it in the crock pot and let it heat up stired it until it was all melted and then stick blended it until it whipped up a little. Then I stuck it in the mold and this morning I took it out and was able to cut it. It is still a little soft, but at least it is not taking up space in one of my molds anymore. I think it may turn out okay after all the water drys out.

beverlyl said:
It is about 3 weeks old and was still just like jelly, without the lumps. I stuck it in the crock pot and let it heat up stired it until it was all melted and then stick blended it until it whipped up a little. Then I stuck it in the mold and this morning I took it out and was able to cut it. It is still a little soft, but at least it is not taking up space in one of my molds anymore. I think it may turn out okay after all the water drys out.

Congrats! I bet it'll be a good soap. Recipes you find can sometimes be off a bit. A soap calc helps a lot to double check.

Latest posts

Back