October 2017 SMF Soap Challenge, simple minimalistic swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely soaps entered so far. I probably won't be entering one this month. My time has been quite full helping my son in the midst of the wildfires. I did make soap the first night before the fires broke out, or at least before I actually knew about them, but it is not entry worthy and I have not had a chance since. Unless I make one tomorrow after driving from Oregon back to Mendocino County, I won't have time to make another before the entry cut-off date. But I am looking forward to seeing what everyone else does.

My entry is in the mould, crossing all fingers and toes I can cut it this afternoon and just squeeze it in as an entry lol

I guess everyone is waiting for the last moment? :-?

I've got my fingers crossed that I'll find the time for a second attempt. I was hoping that I was going to have the time when I got home from work yesterday but a windstorm cut the power just about everywhere with some places still out (thankfully ours came back by the time I woke up). If I don't soap in the morning I'll get my prettiest of the first attempt up. It's a drop swirl that didn't drop too well.

Well I made several this weekend that I fit the requirements, I just cut tonight. I think I’m sure which I’ll enter unless my orange cooperates by the entry - right now it looks like two different colors which totally disqualified me. [emoji35]

I’ll see what it does now that it’s exposed to the air...

So very annoying you can no longer delete posts.
Just posted my entry from my phone because I was worried I'd miss the deadline but the photo turned on its side!
Will try and correct when I can get to the computer.

I also did a mica line but since there were a few of those I entered this one instead.

So very annoying you can no longer delete posts.
Just posted my entry from my phone because I was worried I'd miss the deadline but the photo turned on its side!
Will try and correct when I can get to the computer.

I also did a mica line but since there were a few of those I entered this one instead.
Saponista is helping me upload the photographs to the survey. She should be able to turn it around on her computer before she uploads it if you can't get it to work.

Thanks Lionprincess. Eight attempts and I managed to turn it and make it stay turned on SMF. Whoooo a computer techno wizz!

Saponista is helping me upload the photographs to the survey. She should be able to turn it around on her computer before she uploads it if you can't get it to work.

Primrose wrote on the entry thread: "I've not really tried colouring or swirling my soap yet so I thought this might be a good challenge for me to try. I came on board fairly late so I had time for one attempt only. My mica didn't arrive so I decided to attempt a ghost swirl which is also something I've been wanting to try.

So here it is, ghost swirl with goats milk"

Lovely soap.
It doesn't matter for the competition but I'd really like to know because a ghost swirl is where no colourant (or only one colour) is used but the water content of the batter is different so it comes out as a swirl after the cure.
see: https://auntieclaras.com/2015/09/the-ghost-swirl/

Is that what you did with your entry soap?

Yes, that's what I did.

I guess one could argue that goats milk is a colourant. But all my soaps are made with full substitution of goats milk for water - I've never actually made a soap using water and lye - so goats milk is just the baseline for me.

So for mine I made 80% of the batter with full water (milk) and then 20% of the total batch was made with a water (milk) discount, then swirled to create the two different colours.

Does that make sense?

Here is my other entry I did not post! CP with minimum swirl.

DSCN1982.jpg

DSCN1983.jpg

Yes, that's what I did.

I guess one could argue that goats milk is a colourant. But all my soaps are made with full substitution of goats milk for water - I've never actually made a soap using water and lye - so goats milk is just the baseline for me.

So for mine I made 80% of the batter with full water (milk) and then 20% of the total batch was made with a water (milk) discount, then swirled to create the two different colours.

Does that make sense?

That's fantastic. There is such a huge difference between the two "colours" it is amazing. Good work.

Back