October 2017 Challenge Entry Thread- Minimalism

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Entries can now be submitted! Please post ONLY your entries on this thread. Any other comments/compliments or discussion should be left on the original challenge thread.

Please post a picture of your soap.

Multiple pictures are always welcome. Any information you wish to give on your colors or fragrances are also welcomed.

This thread will close on October 26, 2017 at 11:59 pm CST.

This soap was sort of Gaius' idea. He wanted a "Hoth" soap to go with the "Tattooine" soap I did for the fluid pour challenge. It's lard, palm, olive, avocado, and castor. Kaolin clay in the whole batch, Caribbean blue mica from BB for the blue. Scented with peppermint. The snow is confetti made with a previous batch of the same recipe. The zoomed out pic best shows the color, but the close-up shows the falling snow a little better. I gradually added the "snow" into the batter, a little more with each pour. Kind of like a gradient, only with more and more confetti instead of mica. I was trying to get a falling snow effect. I tried two different grater sizes for two different batches, but the snow came out looking the same, either way.

IMG_20171007_085920.jpgIMG_20171007_090127.jpg

This soap was made over the course of 2 days, with the first day being to pour the layers (gray, white, gray) and put the straws into place, and the second day was to remove the straws and make a small batch of soap to fill in the holes (white, yellow). After about 3 days I removed it from the mold, cut the bars, and then planed them. The planing would have been so much easier with an actual planer, and I learned quickly after doing a test bar that a cheese slicer is not a suitable replacement. :think:

Below are photos of the first day after pouring (with the straws) and then the finished soap. It is scented with a mix of peppermint, lemongrass, and cedarwood EO, and the colors are activated charcoal, titanium dioxide, and yellow iron oxide.

Thank you, lionprincess00, for hosting such a fun challenge!

P1160520.jpg

P1160553 - SMF Oct 2017.jpg

I am out of time, since I leave in the morning to drive my mom back to Florida (She evacuated for Irma). So this is it. I divided the batter, colored one portion with New Leaf from Nurture, scented the whole batch with Bamboo and Sugar Cane from Rustic Escentuals. Put a divider in my mold and poured the green on one side, the white on the other. Pulled it out, did a chopstick and a skewer separately, and expected a nice swirl. I did not get much of a swirl at all :( Oh well, it smells divine! :)

IMG_20171020_081325872.jpg

Last edited:
This is calamine powder mixed into the main batter with a plain (no colour) swirl which was 15% of the total batter. I poured a line of alternate batters along the side of the tilted mold. The photo has picked up a colour variation between the last larger coloured batter pour which is really not that evident in the soap. Ghost busters.

I expected the calamine powder to colour the batter pink but no such luck. Will try with more powder next time but I actually like this subtle effect of this one.

IMG_6899 e.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure whether to call this "in the nick of time" or "holy crap it worked"

I've not really tried colouring or swirling my soap yet so I thought this might be a good challenge for me to try. I came on board fairly late so I had time for one attempt only. My mica didn't arrive so I decided to attempt a ghost swirl which is also something I've been wanting to try.

So here it is, ghost swirl with goats milk

IMG_20171026_051139.jpg

20171012_153516.jpg20171012_154004.jpg
This is scented with Brambleberry White Rose FO, using a rather fast recipe.
I want it to look like a purple/pale magenta cloudy dawn. The FO and mostly hard oil recipe did not cooperate with me very well, I can just plop it in the mold.
the different shade of purple and magenta is because it happen so fast, I can just barely hand mix the mica with spatula. ;)

Back