Colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheri_j

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a question regarding colorants. Is there a general rule of thumb of how much to use?
When I've watched You Tube videos, it seems that people are using as much as it takes to get the color they desire. is this true for all - micas, lab liquids, and dioxides?
I've also seen that some people don't disperse their colorants, they just put the powder on top of the soap, yet others do mix it with a light oil. Is this just a personal preference?

Thank you!

Cheri

Hi Cheri - I'm in the Twin Cities area too! I found this video helpful [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph6-AMQLkEg[/ame]

I mostly use micas for color because they are so easy. I premix in a bit of oil and add bit by bit until I get the color I want. Dry micas will mix into the batter, so when you are seeing youtube soapers doing that, it is probably mica. I think oxides and ultramarines will produce speckled colors. You can also use glycerin for mica (I'm not sure about the other colorants).

Hi Cheri - I'm in the Twin Cities area too! I found this video helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph6-AMQLkEg

I mostly use micas for color because they are so easy. I premix in a bit of oil and add bit by bit until I get the color I want. Dry micas will mix into the batter, so when you are seeing youtube soapers doing that, it is probably mica. I think oxides and ultramarines will produce speckled colors. You can also use glycerin for mica (I'm not sure about the other colorants).

OMG! Fantastic video. Thank you so much for sharing!

I primarily buy my colors from Nurture so I'm spoiled. Her website lists how much colorant to use and she sends a measuring spoon with each order. I would think somewhere on your vendor site, they would provide usage recommendations.

Back