Oh no.. Shimmer lotion?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeaversPort

Voyages of Curiosity
Reaction score
I gave a friend some of my soaps to try as a gift, and she absolutely fell in love with one of the fragrances. I had to tell her she could NOT just go buy the fragrance oil and use it as perfume!

Now she's wondering if I could make her a light, shimmering lotion with the fragrance, to use after her shower. She's willing to purchase the ingredients if I make it for her, but I have no idea what to tell her to get.

Is there a good, basic lotion book or recipe I could try? I'm assuming I could use a skin safe mica for the shimmer, but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

Thank you!

https://www.elementsbathandbody.com/Mica-Black-Cherry-Shimmer.html

https://www.elementsbathandbody.com/Moisturizing-Body-Spray-Base.html

ETA: Enabler Alert! If you go to Essentials by Catalina, kiss your sweetie good-bye, plan on taking a cuppa, sit up and enjoy imagining all the wonderful things you can make with very little effort. I've bought containers from them for years, but every once in a while, I fall victim to one of their bases... esp. around the holidays when I don't have time to do the R & D for family & friends. BTW, they're in California...

http://www.essentialsbycatalina.com/glamorous-shimmer-mist-unscented.asp

:bunny:

You could also make her an "lotion bar"? I love those. It isn`t lotion per say, as it has no water in it, but for me it works wonders. And I can`t live without it after shaving my legs, makes them supah smooth.

Is she alergic to anything? Nuts etc? If not, perhaps a lotionbar with sheabutter? Takes literally no more than 5 minutes to make (!!) and it is something she may oo and aa over. My family does at least, but I am not revealing how easy it is to make, I want them to think I am a GENIOUS! lol, just kidding.

I make one with 50 grams of sheabutter, 50 grams of apricot oil, (as it is a lighter oil it doesn`t feel heavy like some other oils) and 50 grams of beeswax.

Melt everything and add the fragrance oil ( 2-5% depending on your fragrance usage rate)

Add it while it is still liquid. Stir it in and pour in molds.

I have roseshaped cupcake molds made out of silicone, makes perfect sized bars, pops out like a dream, and looks supahh pretty!

Also, you can stroke some shiny mica on top as an effect, or you can stir in some mica when the oils are melted, for a shimmer effect on the skin that some like.

This recipe gives a sturdy, yet easy to melt on your skin type lotion bar that holds its shape without issues.

Bonus using shea butter (if she isn`t alergic) is that is gives a water resistant film on the skin that is breathable, and very nourishing, it can also contains low levels of uv-protection (but it is a variable number, depending on the batch.)

But even so, the benefit from sheabutter is that is also can repair sundamaged skin. It is something to have in mind. Btw - You can add zinc oxide to give a better uv-protection, if that is something you wanted to dabble in.

PS.
When I use cocoabutter I always up the liquid oil with 10 grams (60 grams) because cocoabutter is harder and more difficult to smear.

Last edited:
I gave a friend some of my soaps to try as a gift, and she absolutely fell in love with one of the fragrances. I had to tell her she could NOT just go buy the fragrance oil and use it as perfume!

Now she's wondering if I could make her a light, shimmering lotion with the fragrance, to use after her shower. She's willing to purchase the ingredients if I make it for her, but I have no idea what to tell her to get.

Is there a good, basic lotion book or recipe I could try? I'm assuming I could use a skin safe mica for the shimmer, but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

Thank you!
This is a nice shimmery body spray. We had a couple of samples of it when they first came out with it. http://www.essentialsbycatalina.com/glamorous-shimmer-mist-unscented.asp

https://www.elementsbathandbody.com/Mica-Black-Cherry-Shimmer.html

https://www.elementsbathandbody.com/Moisturizing-Body-Spray-Base.html

ETA: Enabler Alert! If you go to Essentials by Catalina, kiss your sweetie good-bye, plan on taking a cuppa, sit up and enjoy imagining all the wonderful things you can make with very little effort. I've bought containers from them for years, but every once in a while, I fall victim to one of their bases... esp. around the holidays when I don't have time to do the R & D for family & friends. BTW, they're in California...

http://www.essentialsbycatalina.com/glamorous-shimmer-mist-unscented.asp

HTH :bunny:

You could also make her an "lotion bar"? I love those. It isn`t lotion per say, as it has no water in it, but for me it works wonders. And I can`t live without it after shaving my legs, makes them supah smooth.

This is a nice shimmery body spray. We had a couple of samples of it when they first came out with it. http://www.essentialsbycatalina.com/glamorous-shimmer-mist-unscented.asp

Thank you so much!! I'm going to check these out! I have some deodorant tubes so I'll probably make some solid lotion, just because that sounds awesome to me!

The shimmer seems to be a pretty important part of what she wants, so I'm going to to also check out the spray!

Getting into lotion might be fun down the line, but the idea of adding yet another process so soon is making my eyes cross! A pre-made spray sounds like my speed.

You have saved my sanity. Thank you!

Thank you so much!! I'm going to check these out! I have some deodorant tubes so I'll probably make some solid lotion, just because that sounds awesome to me!

The shimmer seems to be a pretty important part of what she wants, so I'm going to to also check out the spray!

Getting into lotion might be fun down the line, but the idea of adding yet another process so soon is making my eyes cross! A pre-made spray sounds like my speed.

You have saved my sanity. Thank you!

Your welcome!

Don`t forget what I said about shimmer in the lotion bar, it is really easy to add, and makes a super pretty bar! What I forgot to mention in my post is that;

1) I add shimmer RIGHT before I pour the mix into the mold (mould?)
2) Store the molds (moulds...lol) in the fridge before the making of the bars, that way they start to set up faster and the shimmer wont sink to the bottom as fast (not that it sinks fast anyway, shimmer floats easily around in the mix as long it isn`t a grainy type, but you don`t wat to use that anyway)

PS! If it helps, I use the Super Sparkles from Nurture Soap, (silvery white) but she changed the name to Biodegradable glitter now, but it is exactly the same as what I have on hand here. It is also in gold.

Good luck!

Your welcome!

Don`t forget what I said about shimmer in the lotion bar, it is really easy to add, and makes a super pretty bar! What I forgot to mention in my post is that;

1) I add shimmer RIGHT before I pour the mix into the mold (mould?)
2) Store the molds (moulds...lol) in the fridge before the making of the bars, that way they start to set up faster and the shimmer wont sink to the bottom as fast (not that it sinks fast anyway, shimmer floats easily around in the mix as long it isn`t a grainy type, but you don`t wat to use that anyway)

PS! If it helps, I use the Super Sparkles from Nurture Soap, (silvery white) but she changed the name to Biodegradable glitter now, but it is exactly the same as what I have on hand here. It is also in gold.

Good luck!

Thank you so much!! I'm going to try this!!!

I have some King Midas gold mica and some Pearl with violet tone, both from Brambleberry. I'll give those a try for now and put the Super Sparkles on my wishlist - because that sounds gorgeous!!

I'm so excited, thank you!

If you do a lotion bar you probably don't have to buy any extra ingredients like emulsifiers or preservatives. I've made lotion bars, I think I used a recipe from Wellness Mama and I love it.

The lotion bar is amazing!! My king midas mica doesn't come through with a shimmer, so I'm going to need some more sparkling stuff, but the experience is incredible!

Thank you, MySoapyHeart!

Hee hee, that's 2 votes for Essentials by Catalina, Carolyn! ...great minds think alike! :thumbup:
They make their own products, so if there are problems the can answer, any questions. If memory serves me right the chemist and wife are the owners. Plus they are within 50 miles of me so I can pickup. I will mention most of their fo's are not cp friendly

They make their own products, so if there are problems the can answer, any questions. If memory serves me right the chemist and wife are the owners. Plus they are within 50 miles of me so I can pickup. I will mention most of their fo's are not cp friendly

I'm looking forward to checking them out! Thank you!

Latest posts

Back