I just made soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
earlene, it seems like every year I get a case of "I'll know what it is" having to do with seed starting. Definitely been there!

Update on the soap:
Using it is great. Smells great. The cubes all hardened nicely. Dents if dropped so not rock hard but good enough.
One problem: orange spots. DOS? I think it's from not mixing well enough. It looks just like DOS but could also be bits of the carrot puree.

I was wondering, once a soap has DOS, is it really unusable? Or would you maybe use it for yourself but not give it away?

earlene, it seems like every year I get a case of "I'll know what it is" having to do with seed starting. Definitely been there!

Update on the soap:
Using it is great. Smells great. The cubes all hardened nicely. Dents if dropped so not rock hard but good enough.
One problem: orange spots. DOS? I think it's from not mixing well enough. It looks just like DOS but could also be bits of the carrot puree.

I was wondering, once a soap has DOS, is it really unusable? Or would you maybe use it for yourself but not give it away?

If your soap has DOS it's safe for personal use but I wouldn't sell/gift it.

If it's DOS it will generall be soft and perhaps have an off smell to the spots. I've only had it once and we used the bars up at home.

DOS isn't dangerous or anything. I throw DOS soap away b/c I've got decades worth of soap just waiting to be used! Post a pic. This is pretty soon for DOS - my bet is bits of carrot. Does the soap smell weird/rancid? Is it tacky or sticky to the touch?

This is the one I've been using for a while. Sliced it in half early on. The orange spots have either always been there or it's been a few weeks since they appeared. There aren't especially soft parts but that darker orange streak, center, does feel tacky.

IMG_20160725_104926458.jpg

What I was mentioning as un-saponified lard running through soap is something you would know for sure, it looks like a nice layer of fluffy lard running through the soap. It is similar to tunneling but it is fat not a cavity of leaking oil.

Latest posts

Back