First Experience Using Mica

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alchemy_cake

Reaction score
So, I made my second batch of soap today! (I will post pics in the gallery once it's unmolded.) I used french green clay and scented it with peppermint and clary sage EOs. I got the notion that it would be very pretty to have golden pencil lines in the green soap, so I got out my little container of Aztec Gold mica, and thought that, being a powder, it would be best to shake it over my soap through my hand-held sieve.

Well, I mean, it worked, technically. It did go onto my soap. It also went EVERYWHERE else. Then, being the graceful creature that I am, I managed to drop the container of mica onto the floor! I picked it up and carried on, but needless to say my kitchen looked as though King Midas had borrowed it to cook his breakfast.

Fine. I cleaned it up and put the gold-covered utensils etc into the sink of water, thinking that the mica would settle to the bottom. Instead, it is currently floating regally atop the water like Cleopatra on the Nile, and coating everything else in the sink.

How do you all work with mica without having it cover everything? I'm thinking a shaker would work a lot better the next time, provided I can find one with multiple fine holes. Or is it really more a matter of practice? I appreciate any advice you might have!

Well I don't know about other but I work with mica messily.

Best advice from Irish Lass I think is to get one of those mesh tea strainers (about 1 inch diameter) and sprinkle it with that. A very thin layer for a mica line and make sure it wets up. Miss the very corner rather than sprinkle the mold from above or use a tiny spoon.

Don't sneeze or shake or rub your nose or accidentally look at your watch! Wipe up utensils and tables with kitchen paper.
Good luck!

Last edited:
You gave me a good giggle alchemy_cake, because I have been there myself with the ole mica, and that exact mica. It's super messy. The tea strainer thingie does work well and sprinkles the mica pretty evenly. It's the getting the mica INTO the strainer that's a pain in the neck. :lol:

I find that a spray of rubbing alcohol helps with mica spill clean-up. I have been fortunate not to have spilled it all over my kitchen floor though. That would probably take a whole bottle of rubbing alcohol. But for your sink, once you drain the water out, try rubbing alcohol wet with alcohol. It should clean it all up pretty nicely. Some colors take a bit more alcohol than others, but it always works for me to clean up even the plastic spoons I use to measure it out.

For a pencil line, I use a small sieve & very lightly tap it over-top of the soap, then set it on a paper towel until clean-up.

Earlene, that's a great idea. I'll get some rubbing alcohol tomorrow. I got most of the mica up with damp paper towel, but there's stubborn smudges that hopefully the alcohol will take care of. And I think that the next time I use mica, I'll set the mold atop of some paper towels!

Back