soap not setting up

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I was reading this and I am wondering. I have a batch that I believe I reach emulsion. It was very thin trace, but after 5 days, it still feels mushy. Strange because I have done it several times before, and this never happened to me.

At the fear of not have done it right, or if I reached false trace, can I still put it in the crockpot and let it go through the hot process to save it? Or if it was false trace have to through it away?

Thanks.

At the fear of not have done it right, or if I reached false trace, can I still put it in the crockpot and let it go through the hot process to save it? Or if it was false trace have to through it away?
Thanks.

You can definitely HP it and save it. But it might also be ok with a bit more time curing, too. Personally I would wait a bit longer (especially if it was high in OO and you didn't CPOP it) and see if it hardens up.

So I was reading this and I am wondering. I have a batch that I believe I reach emulsion. It was very thin trace, but after 5 days, it still feels mushy. Strange because I have done it several times before, and this never happened to me.

Thanks.

As long as the soap is solid, vs separated, it will get there eventually. You could try the gentle warmed oven to speed things up a bit. Or you could freeze it so you can unmold it, if you need your mold back!

I finally gave up--the soap was turning and ugly shade of grey (probably soda ash, I guess) was remained semi soft goo. Oh well, at least my trash can smells great! On to the next batch, keeping in mind all the excellent advice I received here. Thanks to everyone who replied.

I finally gave up--the soap was turning and ugly shade of grey (probably soda ash, I guess) was remained semi soft goo. Oh well, at least my trash can smells great! On to the next batch, keeping in mind all the excellent advice I received here. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Do you have pics? The grey isn't from soda ash - soda ash is a layer of whitish sort of granular stuff on the top of the soap. I may have missed it - where did you buy your color and fragrance? I am thinking your purple color wasn't soap safe - purples not approved for CP tend to go grey.

Thanks for reply. The recipe was not mine--it was given in a handout from a soapmaking class which I took in April
fragrence was from brambleberry and I used about and ounce
purlple powdered colorant

Was the color also from Brambleberry? What was the fragrance? If was an orange essential oil, it could have slowed things down so the soap was still very soft even days later. And the purple colorant if it was not soap safe would explain the grey.

Did you try to rebatch it? Put your goo in the crock pot and let it go through the process. Perhaps you can still save it!

I love/hate the orange essential oil from BB. Is very inexpensive, but it does change the soap, AND is irritating for the skin.

Back