Fragrance oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, it's not odd to use batch weight to calculate the amount of scent. If you make any other B&B product -- lotions and such -- you'd use batch weight as the basis without a qualm. It's only soap that has a tradition of calculating additives and water based on the fat weight, not batch weight.

I calculate my fragrance for soap based on 90% of the weight of fat + water + NaOH. The 90% factor allows for weight loss during cure.

I found this interesting... I typically use 0.85 oz. PPO fragrance on SoapCalc:

SoapCalc.png

MMS fragrance calc, based on 35 oz weight of oils only, for Energy FO shows this:

MMS.png

BB fragrance calc, based on 55 oz batch weight, for Energy FO shows this:BB.png

This turns out to be a real head scratcher! LOL But it does suggest that BBs FOs are lighter than MMS. Yes?

I found this interesting... I typically use 0.85 oz. PPO fragrance on SoapCalc:

View attachment 25702

MMS fragrance calc, based on 35 oz weight of oils only, for Energy FO shows this:

View attachment 25703

BB fragrance calc, based on 55 oz batch weight, for Energy FO shows this:View attachment 25704

This turns out to be a real head scratcher! LOL But it does suggest that BBs FOs are lighter than MMS. Yes?

The two calculated batches are not the same weights, it would not show if one FO is stronger than the other. Here's what I plugged in using a 55oz CP bar for the same FO you chose.

Attachments

• 55oz CP soap with Energy.PNG
    55oz CP soap with Energy.PNG
    23.8 KB · Views: 46
The two calculated batches are not the same weights, it would not show if one FO is stronger than the other. Here's what I plugged in using a 55oz CP bar for the same FO you chose.
Hi Arimara,
Actually, the two calculated batches are the same batch. The difference occurs between the two calculators. MMS is based on weight of oils only (35 oz); BB's is based on weight of the batch (55 oz). The reason I'm scratching my head is because all three fragrance recommendations are different -- and they should be the same, or close at least. What am I missing?

I will add that one always have to check the max % of usage per the manufacture. One time on MP I went 1 oz per pound, and it was really irritating on the eyes.

The Energy FO from BB and the Energy FO from MMS aren't the same. They are basing usage rates on their specific FO.
Correct. But my point is, it seems to me that if you need more BB FO than MMS FO in the same size batch, MMS FO is the stronger of the two and a better overall value because you need to add less of it. Yes? Or is my head on askew again? LOL

I will add that one always have to check the max % of usage per the manufacture. One time on MP I went 1 oz per pound, and it was really irritating on the eyes.
Max usage is not always listed since IFRA testing is voluntary. I use 1-1.3% oz ppo depending on my fragrance oil. I just always used soapcalc and that is how they figure it. I do stay away from some of the FO's that state very low fragrance usage, they just do not stick well enough for my customers

Correct. But my point is, it seems to me that if you need more BB FO than MMS FO in the same size batch, MMS FO is the stronger of the two and a better overall value because you need to add less of it. Yes? Or is my head on askew again? LOL

Well, it depends. BB Energy FO is not the same fragrance as MMS FO. So if you are partial to one or the other, it would seem that would be the one you would use. Then test for yourself to see what usage rate you need for what you want. You are comparing apples to oranges. Disclaimer: I haven't used either of these, so they may be very close in scent. My point is, one company can have a fragrance oil they named 'enchanted evening'. Another company can also have a fragrance oil named 'enchanted evening', but the two are completely different.

Back