Fragrance oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayo2009

Reaction score
I made a 2lb batch of soap yesterday and the fragrance seems to be more mild than what I want (sandalwood). I used 1 oz of oil. Should I increase it, or keep where its at and if so, by how much. I don't want to add too much and cause someone skin irritation problems

Depending on where you purchased it from, the usage rates should be available to you, and Soapcalc calculates the rate for you as well, based on your soap's weight. Maybe Soapee does too?

Depending on where you purchased it from, the usage rates should be available to you, and Soapcalc calculates the rate for you as well, based on your soap's weight. Maybe Soapee does too?

Well I use soapcalc and it uses .5 oz per pound so 2 lbs I used one oz but it still seems too mild to me but that's just my opinion. Where I purchased it was bulk apothecary. Unless you are saying BA might have a different suggested usage rate

I haven't purchased from them before so I can't answer that. I personally like Sandalwood to be strong so I use 1 oz ppo (mine was from Brambleberry).

I haven't purchased from them before so I can't answer that. I personally like Sandalwood to be strong so I use 1 oz ppo (mine was from Brambleberry).

OK, that helps a little more. I know each FO-EO is different but how do I know when one may be too much or not enough or is it going to be mainly trial and error

I check the usage rate on all my EO/FO's. I don't generally purchase FO's that have a usage at under 6%. I use 6% ppo in most my soaps. The only exception is if they are really strong then I'll adjust accordingly.

Well I use soapcalc and it uses .5 oz per pound so 2 lbs I used one oz but it still seems too mild to me but that's just my opinion.
Well, your opinion is the only one that counts! How much fragrance you add is totally up to you. A rate of 0.5 oz. PPO (Per Pound Oils) is SoapCalc's default setting for making hard bars. You can change it to suit your preference. For most FOs, I find that 0.85 oz works best for me -- not too weak; not too strong. Some soapers use 1 oz. PPO but you decide what works for you and your nose. This is learned over time and making several batches.

Also keep in mind that scent strength changes over time, from when the batch is first poured, to when it's fully cured, to when it takes its place in the shower. Sometimes it has no scent at all, but once you lather up, it reappears.

Another issue is that some fragrances are better at a lower concentration. This seems to be especially true with those hard to find ones we often talk about here - including sandalwood. Use lightly, and you get a hint of scent that evokes sandalwood (or coconut, I've noticed). But use it more generously and the flaws in the scent become apparent. To my nose, many coconuts that are pleasant when used lightly have a harsh plastic note when used more heavily. And many sandalwoods have a powdery note in a higher concentration.

I can't find any usage rates on BB's website, which I think should be corrected by them. However, according to their fragrance calculator, which may be tied to usage rate (I sure hope so), their rec for strong scent is 1.6 ounces of FO for 32 ounces of soap (oil weight or batter weight??? Come on, BB!!!).

Last edited:
I can't find any usage rates on BB's website, which I think should be corrected by them. However, according to their fragrance calculator, which made be tied to usage rate (I sure hope so), their rec for strong scent is 1.6 ounces of FO for 32 ounces of soap (oil weight or batter weight??? Come on, BB!!!).

Since the usage given is for XX ounces of SOAP, I've always taken that to mean batter weight. I agree it is unclear, and I think their FOs usage rate is to be found by using their FO calculator.

Since the usage given is for XX ounces of SOAP, I've always taken that to mean batter weight. I agree it is unclear, and I think their FOs usage rate is to be found by using their FO calculator.

The link I posted above says CP soap 0.45oz per pound.
That's pretty low ppo let alone per pound of batter don't you think?

Ppo is pretty standard isn't it?

PPO is standard but the question is if they are using that standard. Their calculator says XX oz of cp soap, which I take to mean batter but someone could easily take it to mean PPO. The obvious problem with using batter is your water amount may vary, but it's not at all clear to me that they are using oil weight. Their usage rates should be posted under the FO and not require you to use their calculator, in my opinion.

0.45 ounces per pound of oils or batter is on the low end of what people generally use for FO's (not EOs), but that entirely depends on the IFRA, which we can't see.

.45 would be light for my taste for sure. But I tend to like strongly scented soaps.

I don't know what to think of the link posted by PJ. But I went to the Soap Queen website and chose a recipe at random. It called for 54 ounces of oils, and total batter weight was 78.3 ounces. She used 4 ounces of FO. Using the batter weight in the BB calculator (I believe they calculate by batter weight), I came up with a usage rate for the same FO of 3.5 ounces for 'medium' and 4.7 ounces for 'strong'. It seems that this recipe used about 5% of batter weight.

Using just the weight of the oils, the usage rate was 2.43 for medium and 3.24 for strong.

The FO was Cotton Candy in this recipe. And I totally agree - the IFRA rates should be listed under each FO/EO. They can leave the calculator as is for those that want the guidance in figuring out how much is suggested for the amount of scent.

I sent BB an email(or maybe it was an IM) asking if the calculator was referring the weight of the oils, or the total batch weight. They told me it was for the total batch weight.

I sent BB an email(or maybe it was an IM) asking if the calculator was referring the weight of the oils, or the total batch weight. They told me it was for the total batch weight.

Thank you for confirming that and to dibbles for all her work.
How odd to use batch weight! At least we know now.

Does that mean their fragrances are lighter scented than say MMS. I generally used essential oils mainly because I do not understand fragrances. I've used a few from MMS and they can be strong but the one I really like Bergamot is light too light even at 1 ounce per pound of oil. I've found their sandalwood with vanilla too and I mean too sweet. I would like to find a good frankincense fragrance. Anyone know of one and what usage?

Latest posts

Back