Soaping with Pomace, Woes of a Kiwi

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiya, Im from NZ too. I live in Whakatane . I go to Gilmours for Pomace oil. Its the cheapest of the olives and I havent had any problems with the soap I make using it. I buy my coconut oil from Bin Inn and other oils I pick up usually from the supermarkets when its on special. Rice Bran oil has become much cheaper nw and I buy sunflower oil on special too. I dont make bulk soap so only buy the smaller quanities. I buy palm oil, fragrances and micas online as there is nowhere else close to me to buy soaping supplies. I have amassed a big selection of moulds from various sources so have all I need of these to make preety much all I need.
I no longer do the market rounds as I have joined a co-op and we run a shop so I have a display area that I dont have to pack up and move constantly. Works well for me.

cheers Helenzz

Hiya, Im from NZ too. I live in Whakatane . I go to Gilmours for Pomace oil. Its the cheapest of the olives and I havent had any problems with the soap I make using it. I buy my coconut oil from Bin Inn and other oils I pick up usually from the supermarkets when its on special. Rice Bran oil has become much cheaper nw and I buy sunflower oil on special too. I dont make bulk soap so only buy the smaller quanities. I buy palm oil, fragrances and micas online as there is nowhere else close to me to buy soaping supplies. I have amassed a big selection of moulds from various sources so have all I need of these to make preety much all I need.
I no longer do the market rounds as I have joined a co-op and we run a shop so I have a display area that I dont have to pack up and move constantly. Works well for me.

cheers Helenzz

Thank you Helenz, Co-Op sounds very cool. i know someone involved in one for raw milk but otherwise don't know much on the subject, i'd love to know more, i shall do some research! I'm going towards selling, its humbling and overwhelming. I think i'll start with the neighbors and locals whom already use my soap and then markets. I feel like markets have so much soap already my efforts may all be in vain. I've been soaping for 4-5 years, I would probably never be confident enough to sell if i don't jump in sometime. So i'm starting to really get my costs down and quality up so i can.

Joining a Co-op

There are 6 of s in our co-op with 2 more in the wings ready to join. We all have our specialties and can sell our products without paying any commission. We have a gift shop attached to a cafe and bakery (very handy!!!) Our commitment is to be on a roster to man the shop as we are only open 5 days a week during winter and the hours are from 10am-3pm it is not a difficult task. We also have many local arts and crafters who pay us a commission to have their wares in our shop and sell for them. Its lots of fun and we meet once a month just to sort out any issues that may have come up. Its so nice to have my soaps displayed as I want them and I dont have to constantly pack them up into boxes as with the markets. I really love soap making!!! cheers Helenz

Hey, I'm also from NZ (SI). There is a FB group (kiwi Soapmakers) that is a great source of information regarding where to get supplies. I have bought from ilovesoap and didn't have any issues. Friendly and fast service.

There are 6 of s in our co-op with 2 more in the wings ready to join. We all have our specialties and can sell our products without paying any commission. We have a gift shop attached to a cafe and bakery (very handy!!!) Our commitment is to be on a roster to man the shop as we are only open 5 days a week during winter and the hours are from 10am-3pm it is not a difficult task. We also have many local arts and crafters who pay us a commission to have their wares in our shop and sell for them. Its lots of fun and we meet once a month just to sort out any issues that may have come up. Its so nice to have my soaps displayed as I want them and I dont have to constantly pack them up into boxes as with the markets. I really love soap making!!! cheers Helenz

Helenz I'm dead keen to know more about something like this, what a great/awesome idea. This will be on my mind for awhile,
i love the idea.

Hey, I'm also from NZ (SI). There is a FB group (kiwi Soapmakers) that is a great source of information regarding where to get supplies. I have bought from ilovesoap and didn't have any issues. Friendly and fast service.

Great, i was hoping to find something like that!

Back