What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy Easter everyone. #HeIsRisen

Four-color Drop Swirl. 40% Citronella, 30% Cedarwood, 15% Rosemary and 15% Lavender. Used master-batch lye and oils. As I have been doing lately, I used coconut milk to make up the additional liquid above my LW. Everything else was pretty straight forward. Thirty minutes start-to-finish! I got really lucky. The containers I chose for my oils just happen to hold EXACTLY enough to fill my loaf mold
IMG_0834.JPG

@Chris_S I wish I had a way with the fairies, might have made life easier or maybe it's karma consorting with my fallen comrades? :p

Is the Dawn in the US the exact alternative to Fairy? We don't have it here but growing up, and then going back for work, in the middle east, we only used that.

Anyway, back to soapy thing. I checked on my soaps and the green indigo I made is super soft even after 2.5 days :( and I'm now worried it won't ever get hard.

I know it should get harder over the next several weeks but I've not made HP this soft ever and I'm wondering if I made a mistake in weighing the water, which I've also never done before. Now this definitely needs a proper remake, a harder blue soap the ideal outcome lol

Maybe im misunderstand the phrase i thought it was away with the fairies meaning in your own little world. Thats how iv always understood that anyways.

No idea if its same thing thats what someone on here said was the alternative. I think dawn is blue where as the orginal fairy liquid here i think is green but it is made by p&g so im guessing its the same. i use a cheaper shops own brand version.

Dishes [emoji818]️
Masterbatch lye [emoji818]️
Masterbatch 24lbs of oil [emoji818]️

Also labeled some lip balms, shampoo bars, and found some cute cactus and pineapple molds for embeds and bubble bars. Made a batch of soap cupcakes. Thinking about doing another batch today.

I finally did it!! I finally made my first batch of cold process, on my own!
(my first batch was under the tutelage of a friend).
It just took me two months to do :rofl: I started researching and reading and buying supplies like two months ago, but haven't had the time or energy until this weekend. I think it took longer to clean up my kitchen before soaping than it did to make the soap. :)
No pictures yet because it's in silicone tray molds (and the backs are messy and boring) but here's a pic of my first soap notebook entry.

There's a few things I'd've done differently with the notebook but for a start I'm happy with it.
I called back to my chem lab days and tried to do something similar to my old lab notebooks.

The one thing I didn't think about: where to store it!
The two silicone trays take up more space than the loaf mold(which I can tuck away on the bottom shelf of my pantry) but I finally thought to put them on a tray and in my oven. As long as I don't forget they're there and try to use my oven for the next 48 hours, I should be good. XD

Any thoughts on how long I should wait to unmold? I used a recipe from Anne Watson's Smart Soapmaking, the "Shea Supreme". 35% coconut, 35% olive, 30% shea.

Attachments

• 20190421_202305.jpg
    20190421_202305.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 19
Dishes [emoji818]️
Masterbatch lye [emoji818]️
Masterbatch 24lbs of oil [emoji818]️

Also labeled some lip balms, shampoo bars, and found some cute cactus and pineapple molds for embeds and bubble bars. Made a batch of soap cupcakes. Thinking about doing another batch today.

you were a busy lady today!!!

I finally did it!! I finally made my first batch of cold process, on my own!
(my first batch was under the tutelage of a friend).
It just took me two months to do
Congrats! Feels so totally super great, no?

Any thoughts on how long I should wait to unmold? I used a recipe from Anne Watson's Smart Soapmaking, the "Shea Supreme". 35% coconut, 35% olive, 30% shea.
Depending on temp and humidity and chemistry and numbers and stuff and things... you could try to science it to the minute. Or...
Day or two seems adequate in my overall experience, albeit less experience than many. I do notice that you are using plenty of softer oils, so my guess is:
Softer oils + Florida = might be closer to a two day mark? Just my guess and two cents. Maybe try separating the mold a bit after 24 hours to check on the progress. If it seems sticky then give it another 12 to 24 hours. This is really part of the overall fun and it becomes your own personal science project!

Congrats! Feels so totally super great, no?
SO MUCH. I'm a little personal high right now. (In addition to soaping, I also managed to continue my daily writing streak for my novel and got over 800 words done during my hour session)

a two day mark? Just my guess and two cents. Maybe try separating the mold a bit after 24 hours to check on the progress. If it seems sticky then give it another 12 to 24 hours.
This is what I was thinking too, and since it's molds I don't have to worry about it being too hard to cut.

This is really part of the overall fun and it becomes your own personal science project!
Yes! The experimenting and scientific process(along with the artistic side) is a big reason why I was drawn to soap and now I'm impatient to see the results of my experiment! Hehe.

Thanks for the encouragement!

@LilianNoir - I just put your % into soapcalc and your bars should actually be pretty hard - a solid 47! Sounds like a nice balanced bar for the first one! I like how you didn't use fragrance or color - it's gonna be just great soap! It may be ready in 24 hours, but as @SeattleMartin said - just pull on the sides a little to check...
Congratulations!

I made soap today! It's been a while but I decided that I really should do a batch of Poop soap as it does sell. So, I made a batch today. Next up will be a batch of Salt Soap.
First time I can say, “Hey lady, your soap looks like s#!+,” and not feel bad about it.

Surprisingly, yes, they do sell quickly. People get a laugh out of them. I also made Unicorn Poop soap, which was also very popular with little girls; they were sprinkled with glitter, too. ;)

I don't include the TP with the soap but that would sure be funny, wouldn't it?

View attachment 38484
Unicorn Poo? Nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a few things today, and yet there is still always more to do. :rolleyes:

What made me happiest was working with some photos. I finally took our decade old wedding cake decorations out of the freezer to photograph them for posterity's sake yesterday and it occurred to me that they would make great photo props. So I grabbed one of our plain soaps and snapped some shots. I need the camera practice anyways, it's been a long time since I have made real serious attempts at photography as an art. (Since film, to be a little more exact.)

Today I pulled the SD card, plugged it into the PC, opened Photoshop and started playing with post-production. Here is one of my favorite soap photos from the shots (with nothing more than a little lighting correction.) I hope it helps provide a little inspiration. I know it helped get lots of ideas going for me, personally.

soap_flowers.jpg

I did a few things today, and yet there is still always more to do. :rolleyes:

What made me happiest was working with some photos. I finally took our decade old wedding cake decorations out of the freezer to photograph them for posterity's sake yesterday and it occurred to me that they would make great photo props. So I grabbed one of our plain soaps and snapped some shots. I need the camera practice anyways, it's been a long time since I have made real serious attempts at photography as an art. (Since film, to be a little more exact.)

Today I pulled the SD card, plugged it into the PC, opened Photoshop and started playing with post-production. Here is one of my favorite soap photos from the shots (with nothing more than a little lighting correction.) I hope it helps provide a little inspiration. I know it helped get lots of ideas going for me, personally.

View attachment 38498
Nicely done. I struggle with the background blur personally.

First, they look awesome,and I know they’ll bring a great price at your fundraiser. I watched a vlog post from a lady this week on the topic of not over-buying FOs. As we say in the deep south, “Bless her heart.” She was surrounded by what looked like hundreds of bottles — drawers and drawers that she had purchased over time because the descriptions online seemed so inviting 8-|. Her point was that many of the fragrances people like in candles —foods and some fruits are often not the best choices for things to put on your body. I have a bottle of coffee FO that I’ve been reticent to use for anything but kitchen soaps. What do y’all think? I’m generally a clean-scent, only EO snob..but the price gap is pushing me start considering the virtues of FOs.

Being a newbie, I have found this to be a very expensive hobby and quite frankly, an addiction!! I have found the FOs that say they behave well in CP from BB are pretty true to their word. However, my trial and error with EOs has been very costly. I also use coffee in my CP kitchen hand soap. I don’t use the FO but the liquid in place of water in lye mix and the used grounds. Makes a great “odor eater”!

Latest posts

Back