How do you know when you need a preservative in bath and body products?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momonga

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do some lotion bars and searching recipes. All call for cocoa and/or shae butter, of course, but few call for preservatives. I should think these items need preservatives. What ingredients trigger the need for one? And how long will my bath and body products last without one?

You need a preservative if you're combining water and oils in a product. There is a good article about preservatives on SoapQueen's blog.

http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/lotion/talk-it-out-tuesday-preservatives/

Anhydrous products like whipped butters and lotion bars do not require a preservative. However, I recommend using a preservative for these products if you're selling them. The reason for this is because you don't know how a customer is going to keep the product. Water can get in the product if it's kept uncovered in a humid bathroom (I know this sounds unbelievable but I've actually seen containers without lids in another person's bathroom. I know my eyes bugged out when I saw them. :lol: ) It's possible a person would want to use whipped butter after getting out of the shower and dips into the container with a wet hand. You just don't know.

The products will generally last as long as the shelf life of an oil. The product will last longer if you use oils which are more stable and have a longer shelf life. You can add vitamin E or ROE to the oils to help slow rancidity.

It's possible a person would want to use whipped butter after getting out of the shower and dips into the container with a wet hand. You just don't know.

I'm not supposed to do that?! :-o I am the first among my little social circle to make my own, so all I have ever had has been the store-bought stuff anyway. But now that I am making my own... I'll remember that.

Thanks for the helpful link!

Just wanted to add that you need to make sure you are using a preservative that works in anhydrous mixtures, many of them don't.

Back