Wow!! That was quick!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nadine1073

Reaction score
Hi all.. Just made a "dry skin" formula and wow did it ever move quick! I mixed my lye with water and a water and olive leaf extract mixture that I left overnight.

here are my oils

28.8 oz of coconut
9.6 oz avocado oil
7.68 oz mango butter
1.92 oz tamanu

.1 oz rosemary eo
.1 oz lavender eo

is it the tamanu, mango or avocado??

made a kitchen soap with same lye and water/ mixture OLE.. and did not move like this one ..

I had just pored the lye in and went to measure something and turned around and it was almost porridge like. I mixed and mixed, pored into mold.. mixed in the mold and it froze. I won't be insulating this one for sure. Not sure when to unmold though.. will it be too hard in the morning? I usually unmold and cut the next morning.

If you soaped on the cool side, my vote is for the mango butter causing your batter to go into a pseudo trace. Mango butter, being a solid fat, has a higher melting point than your other oils and so your soaping temp needs to be warm enough for the mango to stay liquid throughout your soaping session (and the addition of any other thing to the batter that would bring the temp down). When I soap with mango butter, I soap at around 120 to 125 degreesF to prevent pseudo trace.

IrishLass :)

I don't see anything in your recipe that would cause acceleration unless it's your olive leaf extract - what are the ingredients. If it's alcohol-based, that could be your problem there.

How much lye/liquid did you use?

The small % of tamanu oil in your recipe is not likely to offer any perceptible difference to the quality of your soap. I'd save it for a leave-on product personally, but that's just me.

Also, unless that's a typo, .2 oz of EO to roughly three pounds of soaping oils is not going to offer any noticeable scent. Did you mean 1 ounce each?

Sorry your soap seized up on you.

I agree Irishlass.. must be the mango butter.. but my oils were pretty warm considering I melted them just before poring the lye. I have a gas range and used the "warm" setting. The olive leaf extract is in powder form so I mixed it with water the night before. No alcohol.

I'll post pics later..

I cut my soap this morning and there was oil on the bottom and sides of the mold. There are some "pockets" of mango butter ( I think ) in some bars. I might try another batch with just CO, AO and mango butter to see if it does the same. Weird...

Latest posts

Back