New with M&P ??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was 2 address, I mushed em' together. They should both work now.

http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/recipe/recipes.asp?category=11. -recipes

I was not trying to discourage you about making money soapmaking, I have just seem way too many people get upset thinking they could make good money very quickly making soap. I have seen good people get disappointed & just wanted you to know what was realistic. With that being said heck, you may do very well if you have an idea that is unique or unusual or happen to find the right sales niche' for your items. I will tell you that the first thing you need to do (in my opinion) is to brand yourself. Choose a catchy name & a logo & a theme, just make sure your theme is broad enough that it does not leave out a large chunk of your target market place.

Tabitha said:
I will tell you that the first thing you need to do (in my opinion) is to brand yourself. Choose a catchy name & a logo & a theme, just make sure your theme is broad enough that it does not leave out a large chunk of your target market place.

YES! Branding is very important to a business! I use a common theme with everything I make.

I think the second most important things is too keep on track. If you but 10 new scents each month but only like 2 so you get stuck w/ 8 you can't or won't sell it cuts into your profits.

I think the reason I am just now becoming successful is because I no longer impulse buy. I do not have to try every recipe I see & have every scent (just most :wink: ) or every shape mold & every shape bottle & jar in 1/2 dozen different sizes. That was all such a waste, not a waste, I learned A LOT but all my profit went twords impulse buys. bath cookeis, bubble bars, bath bombs, bath salt, foot soak, hand soak, cuticle cream, diaper cream, tatoo cream, bath oil, massage oil, massage bars, massage gel, massage candy, bath candy, tub truffles, perfuem, mists, room refreshers, ironing water, dryer sheets, sacahets, drawer liners uuuuuuuuuuuuuurg. I could go on forever. You can see how trying everything would be a an endless highway of spend money...

Thanks again for the input.

Tabitha, I know that neither you or Lane are trying to discourage me. You are simply trying to make sure that I have my feet grounded rather than having my head in the clouds!! Many times people decide to go into business for themselves thinking it is the answer to all their financial problems... it will make them rich beyond their wildest imaginations. But, more often than not they soon find out that they have underestimated their cost of startup, supplies, the amount of work required, and so on. Their new financial best friend quickly becomes an albatross!! And, they give up!!

Over the years, despiration and inexperience has caused me to fall prey to some of the "get rich quick" scams. In a way, I'm glad it happened. Those sometimes expensive lessons have taught me to realize that unless you win the lottery or have a very wealthy aunt/uncle who thinks you are the greatest thing since slice bread and they have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel, your chances of getting rich overnight are virtually non-existent!!!

Because of this, even if you told me that I could make a bundle of $$ in a short period of time, I would be skeptical... at best!!

When I asked the initial question, I guess I should have used a bit more clarification. I guess a better question would have been whether or not it would be reasonable to expect to profit somwhere between $80 and $100 per month by selling MP soap locally. Even then, I'm sure there are far too many vairables that would need to be filled in for someone to give a fair and accurate opinion.

I just want you all to know how much I appreciate your input!! You have helped me to make my decision. Bar something happening, I am going to try some MP soap. If all else fails, my wife and I will have the benefit of some good, quality, homemade, hand poured soap! That's an extra that we certainly couldn't afford if we were having to pay retail prices for it! And, it will give me something to do with my time besides being a recliner potato!!!! :lol:

Robert

Tabitha said:
tattoo cream
Inquiring minds want to know of your experiences developing a tattoo cream :wink:

beebiz said:
I guess a better question would have been whether or not it would be reasonable to expect to profit somwhere between $80 and $100 per month by selling MP soap locally. Even then, I'm sure there are far too many vairables that would need to be filled in for someone to give a fair and accurate opinion.
If you are very careful about where you place your money, YES, I think a $80 to $100 profit a month is possible!! With MP for example, research fragrances, best selling mold types, most attractive colors, best additives. Ask around as too what sells best for others and what works really great. Everyone here is more than happy to share their experiences with you. This isn't a forum where everyone is afraid to share information. Your success in the "craft world" only makes us happier. (I know that was a very general thing to say, but really, everyone here is very supportive!)

Tabitha,
I too fall into the impulse buying! I see someone raving over a scent and I go get it, lol!

Beebiz-
I have put hundreds of dollars into this and I am about two months in ha ha ha! I am working with CP, M&P and lip Balm

I am trying everything and working on narrowing it down to a couple of products I really enjoy, but man oh man it is hard to not get excited and try something new that someone talks about!!!
Thank goodness this is an enjoyable hobby for me! If I were in it to make money I would be in deep doo doo!
Not that I don't want to make money, at least enough to keep me soaping!
I am going on some great advice I got on this board to not jump into selling! Smart advice!
Make sure you have all your bases covered!
Good luck to you, it is fun and addicting!
Jeff

Tabitha and Perfectsoap, after seeing thousands of pretty molds, hundreds of fragrances, and many, many other things I'd like to have, I can see where one could quickly spend thousands upon thousands of dollars in this hobby. And, I do mean quick!!! Fortunately (or unfortunately??), my pocket book won't allow me to go that route! I really thought I'd just start out with about 2 or 3 MP bases, fragrances for each, and colors for each. I still intend to make my own log mold and have an idea on cutting the soap (using piano wire or guitar wire). I won't get rich, but it will keep me focased!! :lol:

Lane, I'm glad to hear that you think I have a reasonable financial aspiration! I guess the next thing for me to do is to post a question about favorite fragrances, additives and such, huh??

I know it sounds redundant, but I do thank all of you for your input and advice!!

Robert

Tabitha said:
I think the second most important things is too keep on track. If you but 10 new scents each month but only like 2 so you get stuck w/ 8 you can't or won't sell it cuts into your profits.

I think the reason I am just now becoming successful is because I no longer impulse buy. I do not have to try every recipe I see & have every scent (just most :wink: ) or every shape mold & every shape bottle & jar in 1/2 dozen different sizes. That was all such a waste, not a waste, I learned A LOT but all my profit went twords impulse buys. bath cookeis, bubble bars, bath bombs, bath salt, foot soak, hand soak, cuticle cream, diaper cream, tatoo cream, bath oil, massage oil, massage bars, massage gel, massage candy, bath candy, tub truffles, perfuem, mists, room refreshers, ironing water, dryer sheets, sacahets, drawer liners uuuuuuuuuuuuuurg. I could go on forever. You can see how trying everything would be a an endless highway of spend money...

Tab I wish you would've told me this four years ago! LOL I've just come to realize that I impulse buy a lot and that needs to stop. Any monies I've made while on my candle/soaping venture has all been spent on more candles and soaps! LOL Needless to say I've begun changing how I spend my money in terms of what sells best and what I need to stop spending money on. I'm still deciding on what scents I will keep on hand an the ones I'd like to try I will only order samples and make a limited edition. I've also decided to stop trying to add too many things to my line so I'm going to think real hard about keeping just a few items and stop spending all the money I make.

Tabitha and Lane - well said. That is exactly why I haven't jumped in with both feet into full fledged business. Just dabbling now. I too know I'm an impluse buyer, so I've made tracking sheets for myself on where to get supplies, which is the least expensive route.

Your advice is invaluable to us and I think I'm speaking for everyone here, we thank you so much. ALL of you. Hey - if I can make enough to cover my supplies, that's a winner for me. Anything extra - lets just say my furry four leggers will extra Chewlotta's.

Christine

Tabitha said:
Lane, I never perfected a tatoo cream... lost intrest...
I have been working on one for about six months...Very difficult product to produce...It's never something I'd sell, as there are WAY to many risks( only a self-use product)...If it is used to help heal the tattoo, it is being used on an open wound...ekk...not a time you want a bad reaction for a customer...If you wouldn't mind, I'd love if you could PM me your notes...

Sorry about the thread hijack! Haha...Back to business.

I've learned so much just reading through this thread that everyone has contributed to!

Tabitha, thanks for sharing the poll.

Lane, loved your ideas on leaving samples.

Dragonfly, I'd love to hear your M&P tips some day. :D

So far, I'm only experimenting w/M&P, and enjoying it (maybe a little too much, lol! And yep, it's been getting expensive...)

I have a question about themes, but I'll post it in a separate post!

dragonfly princess said:
I am gonna need the tattoo cream, cuz I got branded and it HURT!!!!

Ok little comic relief there!!!!
That IS what you do bestest, isn't it? To go waaaay off track...does anyone here in the forum have any tattoos and brands? Someone go post in the general forum so we can see pictures!

If it is used to help heal the tattoo, it is being used on an open wound
This is why I dropped the project & I really didn't save any info, it was scribbbles in a notepad & stuff floating around in my head at best.

I have 3 tats, what are they of?.... Mistakes-LOL!

Back