Christmas 2017

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I know its way past the date but for those who are reading it for the first time like me....
for the little cars and trucks amazon as those cute ones!

Hi, I know its way past the date but for those who are reading it for the first time like me....
for the little cars and trucks amazon as those cute ones!
No worries, Charmed. There will be another "reminder" coming along soon! LOL

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for all the good ideas. You guys are great! I'm mulling over some of them. However, M&P/embeds is not a viable option for me since I make lye-based soaps, have little discretionary income, a looooong list of giftees, and add to that the cost of shipping, (you see where I'm going) I tend to make Xmas gifts from what I have on hand or supplies I need to use up.

ETA: I'm still open to suggestions that fall into the realm of something "special" I can make, vs gifting money (these boys are very well provided for! LOL) and vs something I have to go out and buy. As much as I wish it were otherwise, I'm not Santa Claus.
:dancingsanta:

Yes, Mother. :mrgreen: And thank you for the reminder. :wink:

With the price of Vanilla beans rising, a gift of Homemade Vanilla Extract is a gift idea for not only the cooks on your Christmas list, but for friends, family members, co-workers, teachers, etc. as well.

VANILLA EXTRACT: Easy peasy. Here's the method:

• 10 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
• 1 liter vodka (the best available)

Use scissors to split beans, leave last inch or so unsplit to facilitate removal. Drop into the liter of vodka. Leave in the dark to infuse. Wait 12 weeks, or longer. The longer it infuses the stronger. Remove the old bean and bottle with a piece of fresh vanilla bean. (I used Tahitian.)

OPTION: Add simple sugar syrup (1 teaspoon per cup of vodka) to the extract to sweeten it. This is what they do in most commercial varieties to create a nice sweet aftertaste. I like to use a little dark rum instead.

Oh my gosh you aren't kidding about the price of vanilla!! And even the Costco vanilla with is largely water is outrageous! For those who bake a lot it would be advisable to buy some beans NOW because its predicted to be a couple years or more before things get better - if they get better.

Yes, I do Christmas Soap. Some of my friends expect soap now. I'll have to come up with some new ones.

I did charcoal soap last year. I used Tammy's recipe on Elements Bath & Body site, on the same page where she sells the powdered charcoal. I quite like it. Holds scent well too. I used 2% charcoal... too much! Turned the washcloth black, but it rinsed out easily. I think 1% would be perfect.

ha ha ha ha I gave this to my kids last Christmas! Mind you they are between 17 and 30 ......

31876741651_1aa9d2dc1b_z.jpg

I got a reindeer soap just like the 1 in the 3rd pic from a soap swap once. It was so adorable! Thanks for posting those pics. I think I'll try to make those for the ladies in my department this year.

17 weeks left.

:headbanging:

I am feeling very uninspired with my Christmas soaps this year.
I don't like to make frosty type ones (blues, snowflakes) given Australian Christmas is the opposite. Anyone else feel that way?
I want to get some gumnut moulds (or gumnut to make my own) and try something with those.

I get a lurch of anxiety everytime I see this thread pop up. Gah! Time goes by faster every year. It has been a strange summer too - leaves are already changing color and we're sweeping out chimneys and rushing to cut and stack wood. I've got one christmas themed soap on the curing rack, but mostly people will get summery scents this year - I'll be dragging out my favorite season as long as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back