Soap that is hard on the outside but soft inside

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a some soap from a vendor recently and cut it in half only to find that although it is very hard on the outside, it is really soft inside, and presumably would not pass the zap test :eek:

So I am curious: do some people 'fast cure' their soap so that it seems hard/cured (and retains it's initial weight and size)?

Never come across this before...

Even when soap is cured for a month it can still be soft inside. Soap does, for the most part, dry from the outside in, so the outside will be harder than the inside, especially with a thick chunk. Of course I do not know how soft it is inside.

The only fast cure I've ever heard of is experimenting with dehydrators and it always warps the soap. I know I've cut my own soap in half at 2-3 month and found it quite soft inside. I think it really depends on the formula.
Did you actually zap test the inside? I can't image it would still zap unless it was just flat out lye heavy all over.

The only fast cure I've ever heard of is experimenting with dehydrators and it always warps the soap. I know I've cut my own soap in half at 2-3 month and found it quite soft inside. I think it really depends on the formula.
Did you actually zap test the inside? I can't image it would still zap unless it was just flat out lye heavy all over.

No, I did not zap test it. Thinking back to the conversation we had I realize the soap was probably made 2 weeks earlier so I was really surprised that it seemed so hard...until I cut it!

Latest posts

Back