~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ Last Look At July Photo Entries~

Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Classifieds Forum > Shopping Recommendations > Shrink Wrap and Labels

Old 01-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #1
SunshineGirl

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Shrink Wrap and Labels

Not sure if this should be posted under business, but since its melt and pour specific I thought posting the questions here. Where can I find shrink wrap paper on a small scale? Everywhere I look its way more than I need. A heat gun would be nice, but is it really needed? I seen or read somewhere someone using a hair dryer, I have a few of those so it wouldn't be an issue to dedicate one for soaping. Labels, since I plan to do shrink wrap only should I use sticker labels or double wrap the soaps? Which option would be more cost effective? Again forgive me in this isn't the correct place. Just wanted answers from my fellow melt and pour soapers.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:06 PM   #2
lenarenee
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 662

You don't need a heat gun. I bought one for 20 bucks at Home Depot and prefer it over the hair dryer because its a little quick and quieter than a blower dryer, but it was definitely not necessary.

I bought these at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Crinklee-Clea...ds=shrink+wrap

They smell, they're bags instead of bands and larger than I need, but scissors took care of that. After using shrink bands from Wholesale Supplies Plus,
I found the stinky bags were faster to shrink, the excess plastic was less bulky and fewer melted holes.

The smell does dissipate with time, but wish they didn't smell at all.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #3
Nevada

Liked 307 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 176

This vendor strangely named http://www.nationalshrinkwrap.com/home.html
Watch the soap wrapping vids
Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineGirl View Post
Not sure if this should be posted under business, but since its melt and pour specific I thought posting the questions here. Where can I find shrink wrap paper on a small scale? Everywhere I look its way more than I need. A heat gun would be nice, but is it really needed? I seen or read somewhere someone using a hair dryer, I have a few of those so it wouldn't be an issue to dedicate one for soaping. Labels, since I plan to do shrink wrap only should I use sticker labels or double wrap the soaps? Which option would be more cost effective? Again forgive me in this isn't the correct place. Just wanted answers from my fellow melt and pour soapers.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:40 PM   #4
Dahila
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1261 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 3220

lenarenee that's expensive WSP has the same amount for like 6 dollars. I pay 8 at my supplier in Canada. I use stickers on soap then 102/102 two sides open shrink wrap
People Like This 
Old 01-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #5
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4615 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineGirl View Post
If you do not want to purchase a heat sealer and heat gun you can use saran stretched tight for m&p soap. My daughter whom used to go through over a pallet of m&p per year much preferred saran wrap after letting her m&p cure and dry for several days on trays. With saran it is totaly sealed and with shrink bags it is very hard to completely shrink with a hole in the bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenarenee View Post
You don't need a heat gun. I bought one for 20 bucks at Home Depot and prefer it over the hair dryer because its a little quick and quieter than a blower dryer, but it was definitely not necessary.

I bought these at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Crinklee-Clea...ds=shrink+wrap

They smell, they're bags instead of bands and larger than I need, but scissors took care of that. After using shrink bands from Wholesale Supplies Plus,
I found the stinky bags were faster to shrink, the excess plastic was less bulky and fewer melted holes.

The smell does dissipate with time, but wish they didn't smell at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahila View Post
lenarenee that's expensive WSP has the same amount for like 6 dollars. I pay 8 at my supplier in Canada. I use stickers on soap then 102/102 two sides open shrink wrap
4x6 bags at Papermart are $6.26 per 500 and 6x6 are $6.88 per 500

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area
People Like This 
Old 01-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
lenarenee
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 662

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmzaha View Post
If you do not want to purchase a heat sealer and heat gun you can use saran stretched tight for m&p soap. My daughter whom used to go through over a pallet of m&p per year much preferred saran wrap after letting her m&p cure and dry for several days on trays. With saran it is totaly sealed and with shrink bags it is very hard to completely shrink with a hole in the bag

4x6 bags at Papermart are $6.26 per 500 and 6x6 are $6.88 per 500
Thanks for that Carolyn! Christmas was my first time using shrink wrap and I think I'm going to stick with it. We have intermittent renovations going on in the house and shrink wrapping cured bars means not having to remember to throw a blanket over them to keep the dust off. 500 wraps should be a year's supply for me - and less money than I paid for 100 wraps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahila View Post
Yeah it is expensive. I didn't care much at the time because I had ordered some from WSP and they forgot to put them include them in the shipped box.
With all the dust from house renovations I had to act quickly to protect my Christmas soaps. That drywall dust gets every where!
leilaninoel Likes This 
Old 01-19-2017, 08:30 PM   #7
dixiedragon

Liked 3551 Times on 2051 Posts
Likes Given: 1578

I get my shrink wrap bags at www.sealersales.com

Old 01-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #8
SunshineGirl

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

thank you guys for the tips. I will be using a mix of ideas lol. Also i think i will opt with sticker labels!!!!!! i used to just give the soap to my family so wrapping wasn't needed.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #9
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4615 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenarenee View Post
Thanks for that Carolyn! Christmas was my first time using shrink wrap and I think I'm going to stick with it. We have intermittent renovations going on in the house and shrink wrapping cured bars means not having to remember to throw a blanket over them to keep the dust off. 500 wraps should be a year's supply for me - and less money than I paid for 100 wraps!

Yeah it is expensive. I didn't care much at the time because I had ordered some from WSP and they forgot to put them include them in the shipped box.
With all the dust from house renovations I had to act quickly to protect my Christmas soaps. That drywall dust gets every where!
Your welcome. I go through so many I could not afford them from anyone else. If you are in the vicinity of Anaheim sometime you can will call them.

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area

Old 01-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #10
Susie
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7525 Times on 4157 Posts
Likes Given: 15618

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedragon View Post
I get my shrink wrap bags at www.sealersales.com
Which ones exactly do you buy? And do you have on buy a sealer with it? Also, do you leave a sniff hole? I am looking to get some sort of shrink wrap band or bag setup soonish.