~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > Labels and Packaging > Shrink wrap

Old 11-07-2014, 02:26 AM   #1
HerbalEarthling

Liked 133 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default Shrink wrap

I'm going to contact the company but figured I would probably get a quicker response here. Does anyone know if these cello bags heat seal? Also, has anyone ever used these?

http://www.nashvillewraps.com/cellop.../c-052054.html

I'm going to start shrink wrapping a lot of my products because my labels just get so damaged from being hauled around from market to market. I see at the top it says "Heat sealable with high oxygen barrier properties" Does this mean that they are in fact shrink wrappable? Many thanks in advance.

girlishcharm2004 Likes This 
Old 11-07-2014, 05:46 AM   #2
Jstar

Liked 697 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 3734

Those can be heat 'sealed', but that isn't 'shrinkwrap'

This is what you need for actual shrinkwrapping

http://www.nashvillewraps.com/shrink-wrap/shrink-wrap-film/c-020113.html

I use similar and just bought a low powered heat gun at Lowes

Last edited by Jstar; 11-07-2014 at 05:49 AM.
People Like This 
Old 11-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #3
HerbalEarthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstar View Post
Those can be heat 'sealed', but that isn't 'shrinkwrap'

This is what you need for actual shrinkwrapping

http://www.nashvillewraps.com/shrink-wrap/shrink-wrap-film/c-020113.html

I use similar and just bought a low powered heat gun at Lowes
Gotcha. Thanks for the info! I searched Google for "biodegradable cello bags" and came up with Nashville. Thought I found the one

Last edited by HerbalEarthling; 11-08-2014 at 12:19 AM.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:10 PM   #4
girlishcharm2004

Liked 216 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 486

You are genius. Biodegradable cellophane bags -- where have you been??
HerbalEarthling Likes This 
Old 11-08-2014, 12:19 AM   #5
HerbalEarthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlishcharm2004 View Post
You are genius. Biodegradable cellophane bags -- where have you been??
Haha! I've been in a struggle with keeping my labels nice with minimal packaging I've wasted so many labels just because they got banged up and ink smeared from rubbing onto other labels. I'm being counterproductive. I'm about to drill some holes into a board and just slide my products down into that. Atleast in the long run, I wouldn't be throwing anything away.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:37 AM   #6
girlishcharm2004

Yes! I'm looking for minimal packaging as well! Actually, there are a few things that I'm looking for and haven't settled on the pros and cons. I love the way bars looked wrapped up with paper, a band, and a label. It's so neatly packaged. At the same time, I hate wrapping, and then I wonder what it looks like on the inside because if it doesn't sell right away then who knows if "dreaded orange spots" have formed and it can shrink too making the wrapping not fit properly. I'm not really a fan of plastic, and I don't think it my consumers would like it either; however, it seems way quicker to wrap a large quantity, and I can still see the soap. I... I just don't know. I was thinking about doing boxes because you can always take a peak at the soap and it seems like it would be quick to package. However, it doesn't seem as artisan/homemade. Oh, the dilemma.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:43 AM   #7
HerbalEarthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlishcharm2004 View Post
Yes! I'm looking for minimal packaging as well! Actually, there are a few things that I'm looking for and haven't settled on the pros and cons. I love the way bars looked wrapped up with paper, a band, and a label. It's so neatly packaged. At the same time, I hate wrapping, and then I wonder what it looks like on the inside because if it doesn't sell right away then who knows if "dreaded orange spots" have formed and it can shrink too making the wrapping not fit properly. I'm not really a fan of plastic, and I don't think it my consumers would like it either; however, it seems way quicker to wrap a large quantity, and I can still see the soap. I... I just don't know. I was thinking about doing boxes because you can always take a peak at the soap and it seems like it would be quick to package. However, it doesn't seem as artisan/homemade. Oh, the dilemma.
Amen! Right now, my soaps are wrapped with one piece of paper (minimal packaging) and it's just not working. My soaps get smeared with bits from the other soaps, the bars get dinged up. And wrapping them are a pain! Just need to find the biodegradable shrink wraps! Boxes are neat those as you said, atleast you can open them up or peak at them. I've tried making them but I couldn't get it down. Need to find a better template, I haven't looked in ages for a new one.

And while we're at it, OMG I wish I could stop doing markets! I really want to push my products at more local shops but I just haven't gotten up the courage to do it. I only have my products in 3 stores, 2 of which don't get any business and the other one I need to find a display stand that fits a tiny space. If our customers only knew our struggles, I think we would get much more business out of sympathy! Lol!
girlishcharm2004 Likes This 
Old 11-08-2014, 12:49 AM   #8
girlishcharm2004

Bwahahaha, yes!!! If they only knew!
HerbalEarthling Likes This 
Old 11-17-2014, 07:03 AM   #9
misskittygirl

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I place a soap label with ingredients on the back side of a business card and tie it on with paper raffia. The buyer gets my card, remembers what they bought and can easily reorder on line. As for keeping the bars nice, I only display one bar and keep the rest in individual box totes. When I did markets I only transported limited inventory because the reality was I would not generally sell that much that I needed to take a large inventory.
MarisaJensen Likes This 
Old 11-18-2014, 06:42 AM   #10
Jbarrett

I really like the thought of doing shrink wrap to keep my soaps clean and help them look more professional. My father in law just made me wooden molds for some silicone loaf pans I bought so that I can really go into production and get soaps of consistent size. How do I decide what kind of shrink wrap to buy and how do I wrap the actual soap. The shrink wrap tubing sounds so much more simple.