lipbalm w/o bee's wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tabitha

Reaction score
Does anyone here make lipbalm w/o bee'swax? What would you sub and how much? I am thinking about vegan lipbalm...

I did use soy wax, it was ok, a little trickier in getting the %'s right.

What about carnauba wax?

Recipe from MMS:
28 grams Coconut Oil
14 grams Mango Oil
14 grams Mango Butter
28 grams Macadamia Nut Oil
10 grams Carnauba Wax

I've heard candelilla (sp?) wax is great for vegan balms but you need I think half as much as you would with beeswax?

You can also use macadamia wax for a vegan lip balm. Yes, you use half the amount of candelilla wax compared to beeswax, and if you use macadamia wax you use quarter the amount compared to beeswax.

Tanya :)

I use carnauba & candelilla in a blend. Then I sub in palm oil for the butters (to avoid graininess).

I use candelilla wax in mine. I use around 20 - 25% depending on the season. I make mine a bit harder for the hotter summer months.

What an interesting concept - I would never have even thought of that. Tabitha are you getting many requests for a vegan lip blam?

I am getting away from beeswax because I don't like the drag on my skin. The candelilla and carnauba waxes have more glide.

i'm working on one...but i don't have the proportions worked out yet. i want to have shea and jojoba in it too.

I've seen recipes substituting bees for candelilla... but haven't tried it yet.

I've used jojoba wax and olive wax too, jojoba seems slightly softer than beeswax, and for olive I use the same amount as beeswax.

i used candelilla and it was great! 1/3 part coconut oil/ 1/3 part candelilla and 1/3 part cocoa butter

vegan lip balm receipe i'm happy with

i just made some vegan lip balm i'm happy with. it was a test batch: 20 gm candillia wax, 20 gm coconut oil, 20 gm cocoa butter, 20 gm jojoba oil. 1 drop stevia sweetner, 15 drops chai tea flavor oil.

when i used carnuba wax, i hated it....very gritty, i had added also 1 tsp shea oil but i don't think it was the shea, i think it was the carnuba wax...but i could be wrong about this,

oh make sure you let your lip balm cool to about 120 deg f, if not the lip balm container can warped and you won't be able to twist the lip balm up....ask me how i know :cry:

Latest posts

Back