help needed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GiliC

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

My name is GILI and I'm new here.
I love DIY project and started exploring the DIY soap world. what I most like about it, besides of being natural is that ist not used on animals which is a close matter to me.

So I choose this recipe to start with - what do you think about it? http://naturalhealthbag.com/shampoo-bar-recipe/

It's look easy but I don't know for sure.... any tips?

Thank you so much :)

OMG that is a nightmare. No, absolutely that is a terrible page.

never use any recipe that uses volume measurements

read the stickies and the first 5 pages of the beginners section of this forum.

ETA: We do not usually believe that soap is a good thing to use on your hair. the pH is just too high.

Aye, I got as far as the recipe and ran away!

Home made soap (what does "natural" mean, anyway?) is great, but that recipe is not one that will be good for your hair. The minority of people can use lye-based soap on their hair long term, and only then when it is a properly formulated recipe for hair. That one isn't, so I wouldn't even consider it.

However, I do strongly recommend making and using soap for your skin - it's fab! Great fun to make and great to use.

Hello! The general consensus is using bar soap as shampoo is bad for your hair, as it is too harsh. Some people have great results over the span of a few weeks, but the damage eventually catches up. Some people with strong hair may have better luck, but most aren't really willing to take the chance.

Soaping is a super fun hobby, and you're right, the only testers will be you, your friends and your family. And it always feels great to make something yourself, right?

There is definitely a lot to learn before you even think about making your first batch!

The recipe on the website you posted isn't a good starting point. You can actually formulate your very own recipe for your first batch and keep it very, very simple.

Reading about oil properties can help you understand what the different oils bring to your soap. Some produce a hard bar, others effect lather, creaminess, bubbliness... there's a ton of possibilities.

When coming up with your first recipe, we generally use percentages/weight instead of volume, for more accuracy and ease of sizing. Digital kitchen scales are very important.

Here are a few things to start your research:

1. Read about safety! You will need gloves, goggles, a long-sleeved shirt and special safety precautions when working with lye.

2. Read about oil properties! Find out which oils are available to you and what basic oils are important for a bar of soap.

3. Formulate your recipe! Find some beginner recipes here on the forum that sound good to you. Keep it simple! 3-4 different oils is all you need. No fragrances or colours yet. Learn about things like lye concentration, superfatting, temperatures, SoapCalc.

4. Post your recipe here for feedback before you make your first batch. Tweak as needed.

5. Make your first batch, woohoo!

6. If all goes well, in 4-6 weeks you'll have your first soap ready to use.

Last edited:
Wow some dangerous methods used in that blog. I did research for a few months before my first batch. Watch Fight Club. Respect the lye. Never use glass. Oils are not interchangeable. Just wow, so much wrong in that post.

P. S. Soaping is a great hobby, you'll love it. I was just blown away by that article. I think you're in good hands now you've joined the forum :)

Gah! I agree, bad page! BAD!

Don't let us scare you off. I wouldn't recommend jumping into a shampoo bar. Generally speaking, soap just isn't good for hair. Check out millersoap.com and Brambleberry for some good beginner recipes.

Something simple like:

50% lard (or palm)
20% coconut
25% olive
5% castor

5% superfat. Supertfat is the amount of extra oil the lye won't saponify (turn into soap). 5% is standard. You'll notice that most lye calculators use 5% as a default.

Soaping 101 on YouTube has good, helpful videos.

Hey and welcome to the forum! I learned how to make soap watching videos on YouTube. Here is a really good set of videos to learn the basics:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR6ttCSrLJI&list=PLAADF6209996265D2[/ame]

Wow thank you for this warm commants and kindness!
I honestly didn't expect that much and this amazing knowledge!!!

Thank you again, and its look like I have a lot of homework to do before I'm staring...

I have to tell you that I admire all of you doing this - because the easiest thing would be just buying from the stores.
I hop I will have the integrity to keep it up because using a natural soap means that you don't buy other that was tested on animals which is a close mattar to me.

Have a great week, I will defiantly keep you guys posted.

Back