Dragon's blood

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleine Teufel

Reaction score
I just ordered some black and red iron oxide and I want to use them for a swirl for Dragon's Blood scent. Will the black iron oxide cover the discolor of the fragrance? I'm hoping to keep a somewhat "white" bar of soap with black and red swirls, with the black being the scented part of it.

It might be interesting for a black and brown soap. I did notice with one of the DB batches that even though it turned dark brown initially, after six months or so the brown had lightened a bit. I could see the mica swirl in it which looked a darker brown than the rest of the soap. (I had used a dark pink mica.) I actually liked it since by this point I had gotten over my disappointment on how dark it had discolored.

You could try splitting the batch and leaving half unscented, color it and try swirling it into the scented half. You might get an interesting effect this way as long as the scented portion doesn't bleed into the unscented part and discolor it.

That's exactly what I was intending... Leave the red/white portion unscented, then scent a portion and add black oxide to it to "cover" the brown discoloration. So it will end up with whiteish (unscented), red (unscented) and black (scented) swirled soap.

Well, I'll give it a shot. If it turns out looking more like Dragon Poop than Dragon's Blood, I'll let ya'll know that it doesn't work, lol.

I think it will hide it. I did mine dark dusty pink and white and put DB in the whole lot and didn't discolour, I put some td in the white.

On the topic of Dragon's Blood, which one are you all using and is it discoloring or not....I have tried Rustic escentuals and it was too floral powdery in the top notes.

I will be trying WSP's next since it looks like it is a little more resinous and less floral....I think I read that one discolors but input here would be appreciated

BB Dragons Blood - discolours to a gorgeous dark brown. I keep some batter FO free and colour it with 'new gold' mica. It gives a gold shimmering swirl to my Dragon's Spirit CP soap ... my top seller!

I'm going to be using a free sampler from Candlescience. I've never used DB, but people talk of it turning a chocolate brown. Not sure of which brands they were using, but I'm not taking the risk of ruining an entire batch of soap and my only ounce of DB fragrance just to find out if CS's formula discolors, lol.

I'm very bad with descriptions, but it smells very "earthy". Almost smells like being in the woods, but far from it. Hmmm. Smells like a hippie shop or something like that.

green soap said:
What kind of scent is it? I mean, what does it smell like? You'all have me curious now.

It is the year of the dragon by the way.

It really ill depend on the supplier - not all dragons blood are the same.

WSP - Amber, Myrrh, Sandalwood, Patchouli
Rustic Escentuals - orange, rose, and carnation, patchouli, vanilla
BB - amber, incense, Madagascar vanilla and patchouli

There are others there which add other florals and musk notes so it is really a matter of finding the type you really like. I am still doing that!

I've used the one from WSP and I really like it even though it does turn brown. This is a huge compliment because normally I don't like anything with patchouli. My nephew likes it but he did say it doesn't smell like what he considers DB should smell like (he's basing this on the incense that he likes).

I also used a DB I bought off of Etsy. It was very different from WSP's version. It had some citrus in it and it also discolored.

Nature's Garden has a DB but I'm not sure if it discolors. Some reviewers said it did and others said it didn't.

debbism said:
On the topic of Dragon's Blood, which one are you all using and is it discoloring or not....I have tried Rustic escentuals and it was too floral powdery in the top note/quote]

Iuse one from NCS in Australia.

I've used the DB from Nature's Garden because of good reviews. I colored the entire batch black (and unscented red portion), looked great. It did smell very powdery prior to soaping, but the fragrance really grew on me. Hubby does like it and well as some male neighbors. I also tried Candlescience DB, it's nice, but I prefer NG.

Candlescience went medium brown.

kharmon320 said:
I've used the DB from Nature's Garden because of good reviews. I colored the entire batch black (and unscented red portion), looked great. It did smell very powdery prior to soaping, but the fragrance really grew on me. Hubby does like it and well as some male neighbors. I also tried Candlescience DB, it's nice, but I prefer NG.

Candlescience went medium brown.

You are simply amazing! Thank you for your post. :D I prefer CS because for one they're cheap (cheapest I've found so far, especially with shipping since they're only a few hours away), two, I like their scents, and three, their scents work for everything I have... Soy candles, bath and body, etc. I do like some of the blends of other companies, but the cost is prohibitive. Energy from BB is one that I can't resist though. Next time I'll buy like a gallon of it or something though, since ordering 4oz bottles on a regular basis is kind of stupid.

Back