crack on top of log?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gogreen

Reaction score
I made a double batch of a recipe I've made before for my baby. The recipe is 73% OO, 22% Co, 5% castor; SF 8 % , no EO/fragrance, & I used only distilled water as my liquid. I placed the heavily traced soap (in WSP silicone logs) into a 170 degree oven for about 10 minutes then turned the oven off & left it in there over night. I just went to check on it & both logs have a hairline crack down the center. I've been making soap for a few years & this has never happened. WHAT happened?!

The soap is too soft to unmold & cut due to the high OO content.

I used organic EVOO...I hope it turns out OK b/c I used a lot of oils to make the double batch. I normally let this recipe cure for 4 - 6 months. It's hard to find the time to make soap with a 4 month old :)

I agree with judymoody- slight overheating, but 9 times out of 10 cracking is absolutely nothing to worry about. The crack may be a little unslightly, but it's harmless (unless it is also accompanied by oozing separation or something). If the look of it bothers you, you can always shave it off with a planer or slice it off with a knife.

IrishLass :)

I have certain scents that always crack (peppermint for one), as I always use the oven to make sure my soaps gel. I just trim them off, or if isn't too bad, when the soap is still malleable as yours sounds like it is, I just gently push the crack back together with my thumbs.

***edited to add***
woo hoo this is my 500th post!!!

Latest posts

Back