Apple Cider Vinegar Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartinoff

Reaction score
I noticed on Etsy that there is a successful soap seller that lists apple cider vinegar in their ingredients. How on earth? Would that not deactivate the lye and therefore stop saponification?

Does anyone know of a recipe using this? I would love to try it, i just can't wrap my head around it lol!

I tried it once and the soap ended up full of lye pockets :(

If we are talking about the same seller, I think she sells it as shampoo bar and uses MP.
She meant it to be used instead of a shampoo bar plus the ACV rinse.
I wonder if it makes a difference on the hair at all (I wash my hair with my soap only and spritz ACV straight on my hair a couple of times after I've washed it, while still wet).

I will experiment making a small HP batch and adding ACV powder after the cook. I am intrigued ....

I'll let you know how it goes.

A member who used to be on this forum and who is now on The Dish reckons he's made soap with ACV as a full substitute for water with no bad reactions. I don't know if I'd bother.

I just made a test batch, 400g. HP and added 16 capsules (450mg each) of ACV powder (the food supplement type)
It's in the mold now.
I'll let you know you when I use it. Dunno if this type of ACV would work but it was worth a try :)

Would it really have the same benefits in a soap? Sure, it works great as a hair rinse, but that way it's not adulterated by anything.

I'm thinking it might be like blueberry milkshakes or green tea lattes, now that they say dairy products negate the antioxidant qualities. If you really want the benefits, take it straight.

I'm thinking it's mostly a marketing gimmick. Anyone else?

I think the only benefit that was intended was the acidity of the vinegar, nothing else. Such a soap would most likely be meant to be used as a 2 in 1. As in soap plus acetic acid in one bar instead of soap plus a separate acidic rinse.
... IMO

ETA: has anybody tried any other type of acidic rinse? For example citric acid? Would that work?

mariflo said:
ETA: has anybody tried any other type of acidic rinse? For example citric acid? Would that work?

I use lemon juice in my hair in the wintertime, to make the winter blond match the summer blond. So other citric acid rinses would probably lighten as well.

Ok, so I used it last night (it was HP). I also added cream and clay to this batch before it went in the oven.
I have to admit, it does work. After washing it, my hair was softer than it would usually be without the vinegar rinse. I could brush it a lot easier. It wasn't as soft as it would have been with the vinegar rinse, I'd say half way through between a wash with a vinegar rinse and one without.
My plan is next to make another soap and add double the ACV powder quantity than this first test batch and see what happens.
The ACV powder shows as little tan speckles through the soap so I have to find a way to dissolve it all before adding it to the soap and not dump the powder directly in. It doesn't bother me, it actually looks like oatmeal soap :) but I want a smoother look.
So, yep, it does work :) I can actually taste the vinegar when I wash my hair :lol:

Thanks to smartinoff for posting the question ;)

Interesting little experiment there.
Perhaps it worked due to it being HP.
Might just be the secret ingredient/method to shampoo bars... :lol:
Let us know how you get on if you do a second batch.

Did you HP it just last night? I winder how stable the soap will be

carebear said:
Did you HP it just last night?
No, I made it on Saturday. I used it yesterday because I ... I just couldn't wait to use it :oops:
I'll keep you posted on how/if it morphs through time ;)

Curious more a out the stability of the soap itself - will it get soft, sludgy, or whatever.

Interesting experiment. :)

ACV as soap ingredient

I'm new in the soap making business, and I never thought to use ACV as an ingredient. I read somewhere that ACV treats genital warts...so should I assume that a soap with ACV can serve as a remedy? My roommate once had genital warts, but back then we didn't know about ACV. What she used was Wartscide, and it made the warts fall off in just a few days.

Back