Favorite Go To Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashdigger

Reaction score
OK guys I'm not looking for any secrete recipes here but I was just curious whet are some of your favorite soaps, what do you like making best and what really works for you, example:

I really like a simple olive oil and coconut 80/20 mix sometimes white sometimes with color and other times just plain, usually light fragrance.. simple.:)

Thank You!

Mine is
50% lard
25% safflower or olive oil
20% coconut
5% castor

When making for myself, I usually do unscented and uncolored. If I do scent, I use a pine/peppermint blend with a green swirl.

Our favorite is one of the first liquid soaps I ever made -- my Hog Wash Hair & Body Shampoo -- 50/50 lard & PKO, scented with Peppermint EO. The last time he was here, our 13-year-old grandson asked me, "Do you have any more of that pig soap?" LOL Easy to make. It's a pretty pearlescent opaque soap.

My favorite soap base is 25% Coconut, 20% Palm (or Lard), 8% Castor, 15% Shea Butter, 32% Rice Bran (or Olive).

Thanks all, what I was trying to see if there was a common thread in the recipes, I have seen so many different mixtures including exotic oils and expensive oils and although I understand why the different oils are used and I understand that some of the mixes are really well put together resulting in really good soap. Some of the recipes I have seen are very complex with several ingredients and would be easy to make a mistake. But overall it appears that just a good basic soap and a simple recipe with easily acquired ingredients appears to be the common thing here, which is usually a good combination. It appears that the ingredients I find myself using most of the time are the basic stuff the majority of you guys are using.
THANK YOU ALL!!

Thanks all, what I was trying to see if there was a common thread in the recipes, I have seen so many different mixtures including exotic oils and expensive oils and although I understand why the different oils are used and I understand that some of the mixes are really well put together resulting in really good soap. Some of the recipes I have seen are very complex with several ingredients and would be easy to make a mistake. But overall it appears that just a good basic soap and a simple recipe with easily acquired ingredients appears to be the common thing here, which is usually a good combination. It appears that the ingredients I find myself using most of the time are the basic stuff the majority of you guys are using.
THANK YOU ALL!!

Bingo! Exotic oils and butters are nice for label appeal, but definitely not necessary for a good bar of soap. I'd like to experiment a little more with shea butter in my recipes, but that's the only exotic oil I'm really interested in. I like leaving stuff like argan, jojoba, meadowfoam for topical applications. :)

My "basic" recipe is going to get skeptical looks from the crowd :p I really like the basic "walmart" soap of 40% shortening, 40% Olive Oil, 15% Coconut oil, and 5% Castor oil. That's the soap we typically use at home for handwashing and we used in the shower until my personal soap collection got too big. The soap I sell to my customers is Olive, Tallow, coconut, shea butter, cocoa butter, and castor oil, so we've been using end cuts and the fragrances that didn't sell... as well as all the soap I compulsively buy from other soapers...

I understand, I have a soap that I call grocery store soap, Lard, Olive Oil, sunflower, coconut works very well, and yes my collection is growing by the day,
Thank you!

I don't remember the percentages because I lost several recipes when we moved last year but my favorite recipe has castor, coconut oil, olive oil, palm oil, mango & shea butters and apricot kernel oil.

Can you actually see a difference using apricot oil and mango butter, if so what positive changes do you see?
Thanks..
ashdigger..

Can you actually see a difference using apricot oil and mango butter, if so what positive changes do you see?
Thanks..
ashdigger..
For me, my skin feels softer after using soaps with apricot oil versus soaps without it. I haven't used mango butter in a while but I think the combo of mango & shea butters just have me a hard, conditioning bar.

I can see that with the apricot oil, I'm working on a new facial soap for women I may use some of that in the mix.
Thanks for the input!
soap on!...LOL..

Latest posts

Back